Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS Clone

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Fear_Loathing
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS Clone

I know most 2.7 RS clones are built on late 60s early 70s 911s. My question is this, are there any unique challenges to turning a 79SC into an RS clone?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
cmoss

I don't think so. I think the biggest issue is fitting the old style f/r bumpers--so as to do away with the rubber buggy baby bumpers. Personally I think the sc is a great choice for this retro conversion. Even better on an sc w/3.2l motor.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

Lots of people have used SCs and Carreras....have to change the front fenders as well as the rear tag area....a little more expensive to do....or you can do what I am doing....I am just going for the 74 Carrera look with my 3.2....add a Ducktail and going to do a little rear bumperette-ectomy at the same time for just a little bit different look....hopefully I will be able to add a few pics in the coming weeks.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

TRE Motorsports now sells a fiberglass long hood with the latch repositioned to fit the later cars' receiver. This makes the whole deal a lot easier.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
art
Pro

I saw in 911 & porsche world magazine an english company that makes the early style vent, turn signal and a filler to fit in the late style fenders. You then use the long hood and the early front bumper.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Crivens
Instructor

Im in the process of doing my 3.2 1984 to 73 look.

The hardest part is the front slam panel issue, If you dont mind a glass bonnet, go for the long bonnet with short catch and leave your front end unchanged. Personally I hacked out the slam panel and replaced it with a 73 one. Took a days work and lots of cursing!.

see my dev journals.
http://www.salenca.com/html/dyndex.p...user&id=Red964

If you do go for it, create an account on my project server www.projectsonly.co.uk and host your own development journals!!!

The Uk company making the 'filler' parts wont sell them seperately they want to charge £30k to fit them. Apparently they have spent a lot of money on their 'brand' (which I assumed was Porsches brand!) but hey, that is their loss.

Then you have hassle finding good front wings. NOS stuff is around £800+ per side in the UK. You are better to find good late wings (964) and some rough early wings, cut the lamp frame off the early wings and weld it to the later wings. that way you get fresh metal. Or plastic wings.

Personally I wouldnt go for plastic bonnet and wings, you end up taking so much metal/weight out of the front it is sure to affect the handling. that metal bonnet weights an absolute ton.

Quick Reply: RS Clone