Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 07:15 AM
carlitox33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Strange noise

Guys,

I get a low pitch whining noise from the front of the car when getting close to stopping the car. Brakes will work ok, with no strange noises, but when the car is almost at a standstill (still going but REALLY slowly), or when you start going (again, very slowly), you´ll get this low-pitch noise... similar to what a long metal axle would make if there was no lube applied to it... strange. Has someone got any idea of what this could be?
Old 11-12-2001, 11:56 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're really sure it's not a sticky brake caliper, then one or both of your front wheel bearings need(s) some attention. You may need a repack or just to tighten up the castle nut. If you can get to a PCA tech session and get your car on the lift, it's a very quick and easy diagnosis. But you'll have to have someone check it, who knows exactly how it's supposed to feel. Basically, you lift up and push in on the wheel and check for play and/or clicking. Of course, you also want to spin the wheels and make sure the calipers aren't grabbing. I just went through this at a tech session on Sat., so it's fresh in my mind.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:17 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is dragging caliper, but it could be the other as well. The caliper could need to be rebuilt, or the rubber brake hose could need to be replaced. If you are wondering why the brake hose the theory is when they get old the inside colapses and holds some pressure on that brake almost like some sort of check valve. Common problem.

Quick Reply: Strange noise