Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Window Moulding Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:11 PM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Window Moulding Install

I finally decided to replace all the window rubber and headliner on my '78SC.

Everything has gone really well right up until I started putting the windows and new rubber back on the car. The windshield was easy, but for the life of me, I can't get the trim moulding on the rear quarter windows into the new rubber seals.

I imagine this has to be done before the glass is put back in the car, but no amount of pressure will get the barb on the back of the moulding to stay seated in the new OEM rubber I bought. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Has anyone else found this as frustrating as I have? I'm actually thinking of leaving the trim off as it actually looks cleaner without the trim.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The purpose of the trim (as i suspect you already know) is to spread the rubber and make it fit tighter into the window opening, providing a better seal against the painted edges.
I suspect that it could be installed after placing the window into the car, but you would need some type of spray lubricant that will dissipate when it dries.
For a similar application (placing the molding on the outside of an opening 911 rear window frame) I used a teflon spray that is intended as a mold release spray. Another possibility might be a Teflon coating used to seal tablesaw decks.
I do believe you are trying to put it in correctly, but there must be a trick used by the pros to prevent it from popping back out, and from bending the trim into an oddly shaped piece of junk while doing so.
+++
Old 02-09-2006, 09:06 PM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback Dan. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some Teflon spray and try that. I've been using a soapy water solution and everything short of a hammer to try and get the moulding to seat with no luck as of yet. As tight as the fit is with the window out of the car, I can't imagine trying to install the trim with the window in place, but maybe that's the trick.

Seems like this is one of those little items that can be a major PITA.

Quick Reply: 911 Window Moulding Install