Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HEATER ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
oto60
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEATER ISSUE

Today i was taking the coupe to work as I was parking the car A VERY bad sound came from the engine compartment like a bad whining noise and then the heater seems not to work anymore. The levers are up and no blowing air. I suspect the blower motor has gone bad. Does this sound like the right diagnosis? Please help. COule it be fuse, relay etc.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What year car is this? So much of the heater system on an air-cooled 911 is mechanical and runs best when the car is running down the road.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It is very possible that the sound you heard was the heater fan motor imploding on itself. If you do a search here and on pelican, you can read all there is to know about the ways to repair this issue.
+++
Old 02-07-2006, 12:09 AM
oto60
Advanced

Thanks for you post! When I got home today I checked the three fused in the engine compartment and noticed the bottom two fuses were burned. I changed them and the motor blower motor started to work again. It looks like its ok,, but I still can not figure out what that sound was. Everything seems ok????
Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The fuses burned up for a reason, so merely replacing the fuses may not be a good thing. What year the the car? The reason I ask is because early heater fans had plastic squirrel cages in them and when heated up had a tendency to melt down a bit, and then they froze in position a bit and wound up overheating the fan motors. In a few years Porsche replaced them with metal ones.

Again, if you post a question you need to include some basic details or we can't offer you any useful help. The year is a good start.

Dan
Old 02-07-2006, 12:41 PM
oto60
Advanced

thanks for the reply. My car is a 86 coupe. One thing I noticed is that the fuses were all coroded and very brittle. I replaced them last night and drove the car into work today. The heater seems to be working just fine. I still cant figure out what the bad noise was coming from the engine compartment right before the heater motor stopped working. I am going to keep an eye out on it, but all seems well for now. Any other thoughts on what I should be concerned about or to look for?? Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I would suggest taking your fan apart and looking at it . There is a tendancy for screws to come loose and cause the commutator to slip and jam. If this is it, it could be a simple fix. Leave it and you will destroy your fan . It is simple to take apart and inspect and is a worthwhile bit of preventitive maintanance.

Quick Reply: HEATER ISSUE