Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time to get a p-car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Carl Jarrett
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Time to get a p-car...

Well my BMW may be totalled out, so I will be looking into getting a new car. I've wanted a 911 for a long time, but always hesitated because of the maintenance problems. This will be my daily driver.
I have just over 30k CDN to spend, and want a 911. I would REALLY like a car like a 964 but they are too much. I really do prefer the bumpers on a 964 over the Carrera 3.2's and SC's. I do know you can get body kits to match the 964 or others. Also would like it to be NA, and a widebody would be REALLY nice. What do you guys feel about driving an older 911 every day? And what do you feel about converting an SC or 3.2 to 964 looks?
I also plan to do suspension mods, maybe coilovers and sway bars. As well as race bucket seats, removing the AC and stereo, so I can listen to the sweet flat six. Am I crazy? Should I buy a E36 M3 and wait untill I can afford a boxster in a year or 2? Let me know your opinions on some or all of this. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Carl Jarrett
Advanced

I REALLY like how both of these cars look. Can't get enough of it..

BTW, I can do alot of work myself, no painting though.. so that will save alot of money in repairs and the upkeep.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:09 AM
Typical Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1984 3.2 Carrera Cabriolet as my daily driver. I also have a 2001 3-series BMW, and I can tell you that it is a COMPLETELY different driving experience. NOT to say that it is better or worse; there is just something about that exhaust note and slot car like handling that makes the drive to work every morning a little more exciting.

What you give up in comfort, you get back in feeling like Fittipaldi. 10-fold.

As far as maintenance, a switch may break or a bulb may go out here or there, but treat it right and it will NEVER leave you stranded.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Carl Jarrett
Advanced

Thanks for that insight. Thats specifically the reason I want a 911. The feeling, the sound, I'm not concerned about comfort really. And before anyone replies and says look for the best example you can afford, that is a given, and I will do that. I'm just wondering if you people think I'm crazy for wanting to do all these modifications, or should I just wait for something else if I won't be happy with a stock 3.2 or whatever (which I would). Its just hard to decide between a car that I want to do so much changing, but in the long run will be what I really want, or a car that is fun, new(er), fairly reliable, quick, but doesn't have the feeling of a 911.... hmmm
Old 07-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Typical Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to get one and drive it for awhile. THEN decide on the mods. I had a laundry list of things that I wanted to do, too; too put it simply, I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. Not too sound dramatic, but the 911 is a unique beast; live with it for awhile.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Time to get a p-car...