Height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
mrd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height adjustment

Hi

My 77 Carrera 3.0 has been dropped extremely low at the back and is about standard at front, I want to reset it to a fairly standard ride height and I was looking for some advice on do's and don'ts (the torsion bars are excessively tight) - also what is the standard ride height and what is the best way to measure it (I have 6 and 7 x 16 Fuchs) I am looking to add spacers to increase the track and improve appearance - what are maximum permissible front and rear with standard Carrera flares, I will post some pics when I have done it.

Sorry about all the questions but it seems daft not to tap into your collective expertise

Damien
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damien: The rear ride height on your car should be approximately 25". With the car parked on a level floor measure from the floor vertically through the center of the wheel to the closest painted part of the quarter panel. 25" will give you what is commonly known as Euro ride height, and you will have a small airgap, when viewing from the side, between the top of the rear tire and the quarter panel. Rather than using wheel spacers the Carrera body should easily accept 8x16 rear wheels. Yes, they're expensive, but so is the labor to calculate and install longer wheel studs. If the car were mine I would stay with the 6" front wheels, but you do have the option of moving your 7" rears to the front, and use the same 205/55 tires.
Pete
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete

Thanks for the info, would you keep the 6s for aesthetic or performance reasons, also where can I get a copy of your book in UK or can I get it shipped from US.

Damien
Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damien: Mostly aesthetic, I like the way 6s tuck in under the fenders and there will never be a tire rubbing issue. Performance loss, if any, is truly minimal unless the car is used for competition.
Regarding my book, the 8th edition should be ready to go any day now. The publisher, RPM AutoBooks (888) 237-4359, should know. For you their website would be a better way to contact them. Thanks for asking!
Pete

Quick Reply: Height adjustment