Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Back date front vent windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Back date front vent windows?

What is involved with the process installing opening front 1/4 windows on an 82 Targa?

Tried to run a search but did not get any results.

Thanks !
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would need the frames out of an older targa. If you have black frames, then it will be even more difficult, as I believe it will reduce the years of possible donor cars to only 5-6 years (They changed to black in 77 or 78, and I am uncertain when they discontinued the opening windows). If you get a set that are brite/polished/chromed (whatever you care to call it), then you will add the expense of powder coating, anodizing, etc. to make them match.

I back-dated the rear 1/4 windows of my 84. Although it works and looks almost as good as OEM, it isn't the same and they leak a bit when washing the car if I am not careful. I would expect the same type of results on the front windows.
+++
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks !

Are they difficult to install or is it just a few screws and they puill straight out of the door?

I will end up powder coating chrome ones if I cannot find them in black.

John
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect they are more involved thatn a few simple screws, as the rear post also provides the track and weatherstripping for the side glass. Essentially this means that you'll end up gutting 2 pairs of doors and then putting them all back together again.
Probably more work than most would undertake, but I'm interested in how it goes for you because even with the rear windows that open, my coupe still has very little air flow through the cabin.
+++

Quick Reply: Back date front vent windows?