GT pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 02:54 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Post GT pics

Someplace in Sweden

<a href="http://194.236.61.194/_upload/AAAPorsche.jpg" target="_blank">http://194.236.61.194/_upload/AAAPorsche.jpg</a>
Old 04-11-2003, 03:18 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to drive one! Only one problem, it won't be in this life time (unless I win a lottery somewhere- ha, ha!) Man oh man are those three sweet cars. Oh well, I keep dreaming....

Regards,
Jim
'86 911
Old 04-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well then, here is the solution. For a lot less money, you can pick up a 962 and go even faster. Then maybe you can try to crack those unbroken lap records that are still standing to this day done on 956's and 962's. And if you are in Europe, you can even drive one on the road. Not only that, it has the flat 6 we all love. But the best part is that even though it is expensive, it would be easy to justify the expense to the spouse and accountant if the money is available. Simply put, while a Carrera GT is taking some depreciation, the 962 will only be going up in value. And that it has lately due to all the vintage racing opportunities available to them now. I still remember seeing these cars selling in the mid low to mid 100's less than 10 years ago. That's not too long ago. To me that is one heck of an investment when one looks at the lack at the alternatives in today's economy. And the alternatives don't do 220+ mph. Here is a nice one <a href="http://www.carclassic.com/html/DD51.htm" target="_blank">www.carclassic.com/html/DD51.htm</a>
Old 04-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't get "into" the Carrera GT; emotionally or in enthusiasm, I mean. Physically, maybe yes. Financially, only in a moment of weakness. But personally, the Carrera GT started out as such an interesting, pure, impractical and focused car.
Porsche relented and put a roof on it. Fair enough, I guess.
Porsche also reacted to tweak the horses up to 600 (perhaps in part because Mercedes will have a couple of production vehicles delivering that number in the next twelve months or perhaps in part to lift the performance above a Murcielago at half the price et al.)

It seems to me, with other cars already raising the bar and the technological wizardry of the C.GT being diluted (for example, while it does have a monocoque carbon chassis, the engine is no longer a stressed member) and the collector status and exclusivity are only products of the price, not any degree of rarity (Porsche announced they'll build as many as they have orders, apparently about 1500 over two years so far) so where does that put resale value? Porsche hasn't delivered a "collector" car with sustained resale value since, oddly enough, the '98 C2S.
Will this car achieve a place in history?
I hope so. I just don't expect so.

Cheers,

Adam
ps. When the C.GT was mooted to be in the US$300K range and built as a Le Mans car with bodywork, I wanted one.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:46 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What were they thinking... they had those cars out when it was snowing!!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Carrera GT somewhat. The car is to Ferrari-like and Italianesque for a Porsche. Nothing wrong Ferrari and Italian cars, but I want my Porsches to clearly look like Porsches. Things like wheel offset, body lines, headlight treatment, etc were always unique and seperate for Porsche, and this car, while nice and interesting, seems un-Porsche.

Gobogie...What's the problem with having them in the snow? ;-) The factory test guys don't baby the product at all. A few years ago, PCA Germany region had a visit to Weissach, and we got to go on the track with factory drivers in street cars. These guys beat the cars pretty hard, from dropping the clutch hard on every start to slamming downshifts to powersliding through corners. Some of it was for show, I am sure, but they never baby the cars the way us owners think we need to do. The guy driving the turbo chewed through a set of street tires after about 20 rides. Don't know what the tires were like when we started, but he trashed them in a big hurry with his driving style. Any driver instructor I ever had would have been horrified at the way these guys slammed the cars around. I am sure the GT's are getting similar treatment. Probably better for something to break then than in the customer's hands.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:59 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Guys! You'd think that you'd all be salivating at the mere thought of the car after being stabbed in the heart by that Cayenne abomination! Porsche needs the Carrera GT, if for no other reason, to remind the world that they still build sportscars! I love the thing honestly. Of course, I'd have preferred a closed coupe version... I'm not really a roadster kind of guy...

Quick Reply: GT pics