Cat Bypass Pipe on E-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
it will help in mid-upper end, no need for re-mapping with an SC as it is CIS, just fatten the mixture a little, it will gain you probably 10hp max with a muffler also. Not bad for $135, Alot cheaper than SSI's if you're on a budget

They work really well on a 3.2 car, even better with a chip as SSI gains are fewer on a 3.2 as they need to push more air. I think 3.2's with stock heater boxes, premuff, and a good free flow muffler are pretty neck-neck with SSI's and you don't need to monkey around with heater pipes.

Thats interesting.... muffler's getting a bit long in the tooth...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for my first 911. I want a '80 to '83 SC. A couple of the cars I've inquired about have had the SSI upgrade. Both had the cat removed. This is a bit of a problem since I live in Washington, DC where emissions are tested every two years. Someone local told me he just has a mechanic lean out the fuel mixture a lot, gets it tested, then has the mixture richened once it passes (sometimes takes more than one emissions test to pass).

I'm also concerned since removing the cat is, legally, a very serious deal (NJ and TN).

Any thoughts, advice?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Do they actually have to test cars that are 22- 25 years old ? Here in Ontario once you pass 20 years you are exept as a classic I guess.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe TN has emissions testing - call the service dept of a dealer in Nash or Knoxville if no one here can confirm. Anyway, keep the cat for future circumstances.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Default Fabspeed Euro Pre-muffler on my SC

I'm thoroughly pleased with it.
Nice piece of workmanship (T-304 stainless) - looks like a "glass pack" rather than a straight pipe
Includes a bung for the O2 sensor
Good fit (some had problems years ago I heard)
Sounds good, but not much louder than stock
Engine seems to rev more quickly especially on the upper end (maybe the old cat was partially clogged?)
Seems to run cooler - final proff will be VIR this summer

I had to use an air cut-off tool and die grinder to get the old bolts off. Fabspeed provided new stainless hardware.

Where I live in Maryland, the only way to avoid the emissions test (sniffer, not treadmill) is to get "historic" tags (at least 25 years old). I'm told that my car (1980) should pass without a cat. If it doesn't - I'll go historic.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

In response to Ked "I don't believe TN has emissions testing"... yes they do. I lived there for 4 years.

Does anybody know how difficult it is to replace the cat? Cost? I imagine not easy and expensive...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Changing the Cat/bypass is easy to DIY, just make sure you have new hardware as using the old nuts and bolts is pointless. If you have an O2 Sensor you will need a O2 sensor socket or a 22MM wrench

In most states an SC or turbo can be monkey'd enough to pass with no cat, or get a friend/member with a stocker to go through the smog test for you. A friend of mine has an M3 that has passed several cars through emissions. But for this to work, you have to know the guy at the test station. Usually if you ask around local car circles, someone will know someone how will pass it, but it usually costs you a couple hundred $$$. IMO cheaper and easier than having your exhaust swapped and engine set up, then all of it switched back afterwards. Its a little more difficult here in Kalifronia, but I have had one particular 930 I built pass with cams, Koklen turbo, B&B exhaust, enrichment kit, and RUF 98's with no cat pass with a simple mixture/timing adjustment. So its not to say it can't be done.

soak the nuts and bolts with WD40 or the sort overnite, then snug them tight just a hair, then loosen. They will come right off. And if they break, they have a head on one side and a nut on the other so no drilling or taping holes. Shouldn't take a novice anymore than an hour including beer break when you get it off.

TN does smog checking, tail pipe only, closed hood so if it has 600HP, nitrous and four turbos, as long as it sniffs clean it is OK.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

I am a novice and my beer breaks are an hour and a half .. I'll never make your time line ..
Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

give it a try, Its a good fun job. If you were attempting to swing your first wrench by removing your rusty heater boxes at home and install SSI's I would tell you that you are nuts, but a cat/bypass isnt bad. depending on if its been done or not, the most you need is a 12, 13, or 14MM (or all of them, people like to use a multitude of missmatched sizes it seems if its been to a hack shop) gear wrench and ratchet with a swivel (easier) a 22MM if you have an O2 sensor, some WD40, and high temp anti-seize.

Quick Reply: Cat Bypass Pipe on E-Bay