Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Wheel Bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing problem

My 86 Carrera had what appeared to be a loose right rear wheel bearing as evidenced by free play in the wheel in any direction. I torqued the stub axle nut to 250 ft lbs, no improvement. So I replaced the wheel bearing, it comes as an assembly; inner and outer races integral in a unit. I had to use a little heat to get the bearing into the control arm housing. I had to draw the stub axle into the bearing by tightening the axle bolt. After I got it all back together nicely. I torqued the axle nut again, and Lo and Behold.. no improvement. What gives?? Anybody have suggestions or observations?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Does your 86 have the self locking axle nut (no cotter pin) or the castellated axle nut (cotter pin). I believe the 85 to 89 have the self locking nut which has a torque spec of 339 ft-lbs. When you replaced your bearing did you use a new washer and new self locking nut upon reassembly? Another thing you may want to check is the threads of the axle. If there was play in the bearing, then that may have put extra stress on axle nut causing the threads on the axle to become "stretched" not allowing the axle nut to remain tight.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where I got the 250 ft-lbs specification, but if the spec calls for 339 ft-lbs then it's possible it's just Toulouse-Lautrec. I appreciate the advise about using a new washer and self locking nut. I'll try replacing them too. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing problem