Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dome lights inop ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
paslantnose
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome lights inop ???

The 2 ceiling mounted dome lights on my 1980 911sc do not work.
Fuse testlighted, ok.
These have 3 positions which i'm told are: off/on/door.
None of the 3 positions turn them on and testlighting the wires to the back of the light units reveals no power to them.

Any ideas ?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:06 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the fuses and bulbs are good then you have a switch or grounding problem. Check the push button switches in the door cavities to make sure they are grounded properly. Most can be accessed by removing the small round rubber cover and then screwing the switch counterclockwise out of the hole where it mounts. I've found a lot of them to also be corroded and not making good contact.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:31 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it helps, the lights have 12V to them all the time. All switch functions are done on the ground side, at the light itself and the door switches.

You do know that the light rocks to three positions: On all the time, Switched by door switches, Off all the time. So,make sure they arenot in the off postion.

As stated there is 12V up ther all the time, so if you do not have 1 'hot' wire up there, that is the first thing to check.

Now when I got my car, someone hah both light wired wrong, and nothing worked either. If you assume 12V is being switched and hook it up as such you will blow a fuse, so look there first if no 12V

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Dome lights inop ???