Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Supplies for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Supplies for an oil change?

I'd like to change my oil this weekend (yeah, it'll be my first time) and I thought that all I needed was two aluminum crush washers and some oil. Now I've done some research, and I've found posts talking about gaskets, screens, replacing nuts, etc. Could someone please break down the parts needed, and if it's more of an endeavor than I thought? For what it's worth, I have the 101 projects book, and it didn't seem that complicated. I'll reread it tonight though.

Thank you.

Jared
Old 07-25-2002, 02:48 PM
Mein 14
Advanced

Yeah, I'm doing my 1st oil change this weekend. My question is the strainer screen - how often does it need to be serviced?
Franck
Old 07-25-2002, 03:19 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jared,

Since you have a 3.2 liter engine, you don't need to worry about cleaning the screen. My older 911 has a engine sump screen which I clean annually, but you don't need to worry about that task on your 3.2 liter engine.

You will need two crush washers (engine drain plug and oil tank drain plug), an oil filter, and oil. I have a '84 and '77 911 and I add about 10 quarts when I change the oil on those cars.

You also need a BIG container to catch the old oil. You will only get a couple of quarts from the engine drain, but the oil tank drain will amaze you (and it comes out fast!).

All in all, it is a fairly easy job. Take you time and have fun.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2002, 03:59 PM
gerry100
Pro

One tip.

The oil comes out like it is out of a fire hose.(slight exageration).

I thought I had the right setup with one of those plastic oil pans with handle on the side and the hole in the top. The hole in the top side couldn't handle the flow rate and it backed up onto the garage floor.(kitty litter time)

Use an open topped pan you can slide under the car and dump it into a secondary container for disposal.

Quick Reply: Supplies for an oil change?