Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Peter Zimmermann's book revised new edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peter Zimmermann's book revised new edition

Hi Peter...I think you should talk a bit about the expanded 8th edition...your book is a great source of 911 reference and I'm curious about the new one... I'd love to know whether or not you scrutinize the 993s more thoroughly?

For the ones interested...the link where I found info about the new edition...

http://www.rpmautobooks.com/

Thanks...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Pedro! Well, I think that the new edition compares to the last like the 997 compares to the 964. At one point in time I didn't want to discuss 911s past the end of air cooled production, but the 8th edition covers everything through 2005. There is an extensive chapter on the 996, including TTs (twin turbos), GT2s and GT3s. Although 997s are still "almost new" they get their own chapter. Also, I just didn't want to leave out the Boxster (water cooled and shares many parts with its 911 brother), so I tracked that car from its beginning through its major re-design (second generation) for 2005. The inspiriation for the Boxster bonus chapter came from an opportunity provided to me by Sports Car Market Magazine - they sent me to Carmel Valley to drive three '05 Boxsters and report my findings for an article that appeared in the 2/05 issue. I used and expanded the PPI that I penned for Rennlist as a chapter, and I wrote a chapter that we named Metric 101, in which conversions such as length, weight, pressure, horsepower and the like are discussed. I decided that a DIYer chapter had become necessary, and used a 915 transmission as the basis for the chapter. I explored the need for both experience and special tools, and how for many repairs a manual just isn't enough. Of course, in the true spirit of an update the VIN chart, engine number chart, and tech spec chart are all brought as current as available information allowed. The Glossary has been expanded, and another new chapter, "Mysterious Terms," discusses and defines DDD, TC, ASR, PASM, EBV and many other standard and optional systems fitted to the modern Porsche. All existing text was painstakingly reviewed and corrections and updates were made where applicable. The cover is similar, but new, and the book has 200 pages and many new photos. I sincerely hope that all of you who buy the book enjoy it, learn from it, and use it if and when you add that new toy to your garage.
Best Regards, Pete
Old 01-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your feedback Pete...I already ordered mine from RPM...according to their website, availability is for next week!

Take care...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
tuk_928
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter,
Since I've nearly worn out my 7th Ed. of your book, I'm glad to know an 8th Ed. is now in print.
I'll be ordering it directly. Kudos! Keep up the excellent work...
Sincerely,
Tim
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! very cool to have Peter on here! I was just reading your second ed. of the book today. I am looking at a 66 911. Every time I look at purchasing a 911 I check out your book. (perhaps one day I will even pull the trigger and get one!)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Peter Zimmermann's book revised new edition