Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 911 and R134

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 AM
jrhslick
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb '89 911 and R134

Can anyone that has made the conversion (successfully) to R134 refrigerant in their AC please email me (or submit to the list) how the conversion was completed? My '89 911 has been converted to R134, but does not blow very cold.
(Do I need a new evaporator?) thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 06:45 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not an AC expert, however, the consensus seems to be that...
a) 911 AC is marginal until the C2 models, when AC was "designed-in" not "added on".
b) on a 14 year old car, any & all components of the AC are suspect - on a 911, there are unique aspects such as having two condensers (front one w/ a fan that is known to fail) and lenghthy hoses.
c) R134 is not as effective as R12, esp. in systems that were designed in the R12 era.

& yes, you may need an evaporator or a drier, or other parts, but I would have a 911 AC expert evaluate the complete system before buying pieces ala carte.

I am trying an alternative refrigerant in my '87, based upon hydrocarbons (butane / methane). I sourced mine from Duracool, so far so cool.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:10 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would also recommend giving these folks a call. Just go to <a href="http://www.scottsind.com." target="_blank">www.scottsind.com.</a> They specialize in 911 air conditioning.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:15 AM
realtime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The system in my '87 was converted to R134 by the PO and it didnt blow too cold until I had it recharged. - Thats one (low $$) place to start. There are other, more $$ options out there if you do a web search or try the previous suggestions. One source if you want to go all the way (add condensor, ducts, etc etc): <a href="http://www.griffiths.com" target="_blank">www.griffiths.com</a>
800-451-7225 (in NJ)

Dan
Old 06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my '86 converted last year to 134r and the wrench that did the conversion told me that it would not blow air as cold as r12 and that I would need to recharge each year as the molecules were smaller and would escape through the lines over a years time. He stated that if I wanted to to have a "cold" blowing A/C system, the entire system would need replacing with new components at a cost of around $3k or more. I decided to keep recharging the system myself (very easy, you can do it yourself) and be satisfied with a "cool" cabin vs. a cold one. BTW, I live in SLC where much of the summer, the temp. is in the mid to upper 90's with several days over 100, and the upgrade is "acceptable." Also, the system works much better when crusing than in stop and go traffic.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Bob S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was converted by the PO.. It also has to be charged every year. But seen to cool OK, not great. I'm also looking for aternatives to the current setup
Old 06-19-2003, 03:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
These systems are so old, now, that you really need to go through one pretty carefully to get it all up to spec. The older systems came with perforated hoses, which require frequent (and not-so-environmentally-friendly) recharges if you don't replace the hoses with modern ones. The receiver/dryers have a typical lifespan that most of our cars have passed.

I had my 72 converted to R134a, and we replaced the lines, receiver/dryer and also added a static condenser under the belly pan (the one sold by Scott's Independent/Performance Aire). With a Nippondenso compressor, my system blows 37-degree output at the highest fan setting in 85 degree ambient. It's not as good as a modern Toyota's system, still, but it makes my black-on-black car tolerable for drives out to the track in triple-digit California desert heat.

In my opinion, the biggest improvement you can make to these systems is to increase condenser capacity. A modern compressor and barrier hoses will also help, but the condensers are what pull the heat away.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll second Jack on increasing condensor capacity as the best way to upgrade a 911 system. Jack, how does that add on condensor do with speed bumps, etc.?
Old 06-22-2003, 04:58 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
My car is very low (raised spindles, the whole bit), so I'm cautious with driveways and speedbumps. I had one speedbump that impacted on it, once, but the condenser is tough as nails (you can jack the car up on it). It took the hit without any problem. Most speedbumps aren't a problem, because of how close it is to the front wheel line.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:55 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone added a C2 condenser to a Carrera? (Up in the front left fender...) If so, with what results?

Quick Reply: '89 911 and R134