Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How many soft window's were made?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Mitch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many soft window's were made?

Quick question for the experts here. How many 911 E soft window's were made, were they made in the S/other model, and what years was the run from? TIA
Old 12-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mitch: I'm pretty sure that the exact number lies buried in a Porsche safe at their museum. However, I believe that in 1967 718 regular 911s, 718 911Ss, and about 544 912 SRW (soft rear window) Targas were built. Production numbers for '68 become fuzzy, because the glass rear window was introduced as an option - the VINs were grouped together according to the literature that I have available, I've never seen a list that detailed 911 (USA), 911S (euro), 911T (euro), 911L and 912 versions. In '69 the glass rear window became standard, but the SRW was still optional. I'm unaware of those numbers but I've driven an original '68 912 and an original '69 911S fitted with the SRW. This is a tough category, I hope that I've shed a little light on it for you.
Pete
Old 12-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is a flip question. I've always loved the lines of the coupe, but digged the idea of a convertible early 911. What could be better than a soft window Targa? And, why ever get the glass Targa? So, I've had a 912 soft window on my list for a next car for many years. But,despite owning my 911 for 17 years and driving numerous 911s over the years, my first drive in a Targa was a couple years ago and a glass rear window. But, you know what? It was really cool and really felt like a convertible, not like a sunroof or T top I thought it would. When you are sitting there driving, your eyes see nothing of the roll bar or window. So, for all viewing purposes, it was a convertible. Then, the wind was blowing all around, like a convertible. Sure, I have no doubt that the glass instead of the fully open Targa does prevent some air from circulating back against your head. But, perhaps not much. So, from my current point of view, other than exclusivity, I'm not so hot for a SWT over a GWT anymore.

Quick Reply: How many soft window's were made?