Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge-A Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 01:23 AM
psears
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge-A Good Idea?

Hello,

I live in a climate that is really hot right now, and am breaking in a new 3.1 ltr SC engine. With the heat coming off the engine like it does after about 15 minutes of driving, I'm worried about overheating my new engine. I have the stock non-numerical original gauge (20 years old), that goes up to about midway at full operating temperature (ambient air ~95-100F). However, I have a new numerical gauge & sender on the way because I want to be sure & get an accurate reading on what is really happening. With this in mind, do any of you think that putting in a cylinder head temp gauge would be worth it? This is where all the heat in the engine is generated, and if you could monitor this area it might lead to longer engine life. I would probably remove the factory clock & install it in that space. I good idea? Yes? No?

Thanks!
psears
psears@austin.rr.com
Old 07-23-2001, 04:37 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I considered adding one of these, but was told that -- with these engines -- by the time a CHT gauge shows you there's a problem, it's too late to do anything about the problem.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:46 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have 6 individual cylinder heads and would therefore need a sensor on each head, and a multi-pole selector switch to check all the heads. You would probably run off the road fooling around with the switch and looking at the gauge. Forget it!

Break your new motor in by taking short trips at moderate RPM. Keep the fan blowing. Avoid idling in slow (hot) traffic. Let the motor cool right down between trips. Make sure you keep the oil tank filled 1/2 to 3/4 of the dipstick. Don't use the a/c if you have it.
Use a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 15w-50 after 1000 miles.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:01 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I love my CHT. lets me know about early warm up stage, about eng. load on a 4%-7% road grade, immediate reaction to anything that may cause engine heat. Oil temp. ga. is to slow. I use 2 senders on 1 dual Aircraft Spruce ga. Cost of about 125 including 2 sender extension connectors. I have 1 sender on #2 cyl, and 1 sender on #5 cyl. Oil temp ga. may take 10 minutes to inform you your eng is getting hot, and doesn't let you know immediately if you have taken corrective steps. I am looking for dual Exh. Temp. ga. Can't locate any, I also need HELP................Some may not agree with me, but I look for all the help I can get...........Ron
Old 07-24-2001, 05:20 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Oh Yeah, my comments on break-in is on e-mail list, better read it, you must always, always rock, monotous but important, keep it a secret , it may disturb too many pros., I mean prophlactics..........Look under Newly Rebuilt Engines...........Ron

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge-A Good Idea?