911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

test drove a benz

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005 | 10:02 PM
joey c
Pro

you know thats funny you mention volvo..i was thinking of something different.;.that came to mind,i used to love saabs...i think bmws are better than audi(maybe iam wrong),,but i like audi more because they dont have that snob appeal that bmw and benz has....well next year...thanks for the help..i will start this thread again next year....i must say that i was F$%^)g shocked with volks..the guy said that they had fixed the car( 7times...)and he would give me 500 bucks....
Old 12-21-2005 | 01:43 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I too had a (2001) VR6 Jetta. It was definitely a blast to drive and it was very well made. I had no problems with it except the following 2 (1 of which was obviously not the fault of the car)
1- Wrecked the left front into a concrete barricade on a decreasing radius onramp whent he jerk next to me in a big truck would not let me merge. It was only 3 months old with 1400 miles. It wiped out the entire front suspension and damaged the left rear wheel and axle as well. Only minor damage to the body where the front tire pushed into the back edge of the fenderwell. It was over $11,000 to fix it, but I used the dealers' shop and it was 100% afterwards.
2- The rear windshield exploded while it was parked in front of my house one fall morning. Apparently the heat built up insid ethe car and the condensation on the outside caused the glass to expand/contract enough to spider web the entire thing. I thought it had been dinged by a BB Gun or the like, but the outside suface was not even scratched, nicked, etc.

They have a known problem with the window regulators/motors going out, but the dealer will usually fix them while you wait under warranty.

The car was very fast. I know they can do 150.

Still, I feel much safer and more comfortable in the MBZ.
+++
Old 12-21-2005 | 04:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Coming way out of left field, but if I were in the market for a new car, i would not overlook the Acuras... the days when they were the best-made rolling appliances on the road are over...

Styling is much better, performance is best in class and build quality is, arguably better than the German cars for the price...certainly, reliabiliy is second to none...
Old 12-21-2005 | 04:44 PM
redidrum
Pro

My brother has a 2 year old Volvo that is not as square and boring as they used to be. I like the seperate heat and a/c control and the leather plushness. I too feel that the Bmw/ Benz gives me that snotty feel too. When I had my BMW in Atlanta I always felt like a snob. I would pull out a consumer report on all of the above and go from there. Good Luck and Happy New Year/ My birthday!
Old 12-23-2005 | 12:21 AM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Coming way out of left field, but if I were in the market for a new car, i would not overlook the Acuras... the days when they were the best-made rolling appliances on the road are over...

Styling is much better, performance is best in class and build quality is, arguably better than the German cars for the price...certainly, reliabiliy is second to none...
I've got a TSX, and aside from being a bit slow off the line (plenty of highway passing power with the 5AT), it wants for nothing. All the toys (I've got the Nav), looks nice, gorgeous interior, very safe (8 airbags and stability control) and made in Japan dead reliable. Oh, and since it's 4cyl, 34+mpg on the hwy, 25ish in town. It's no Porsche, but it is a wonderful all-around car. Car and Driver's best Sports Sedan 3 years running
Old 12-23-2005 | 06:41 AM
osu944
Instructor

i'm a porsche/bmw guy, but for my wife i'd choose an ls430. the ls is safe, quiet, smooth, and reliable. it really does hurt me to recommend such a car, but i know it's the better choice for the price.
test drive the lex before you make your decision.
my .02
Old 12-23-2005 | 08:26 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Joey,
Do you still want a Benz or have you been convinced that another make would be better?
Mike
Old 12-23-2005 | 10:09 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Saab offers a LOT for the money, but I've found that the perception that they are unreliable is very difficult to overcome. I had a 9-5 Aero and a 9-3 Aero and they were near-perfect cars regarding reliability. I like their ergonomics and low-key discreet tasteful styling. I'm not a fan of the current 'in your face' trend of styling where Japanese cars all look like rolling anime cartoons, BMW's (I only need mention the name Chris Bangle), Mercedes is starting to move in the Bangle direction with the new S... I'm very surprised how much like a little bimmer my new Cooper feels, very tight, solid, decent materials and good build quality so far. The price and mileage are right too.
Old 12-23-2005 | 12:33 PM
joey c
Pro

mike,we are holding off on another car for about a year...vw was no help with getting her out of this car..why do you ask? suggestion?...when we do get a car,i want the cheapest,best car/deal out there..saab might be one or volvo..i dont know..having owned a bmw,they are great,but i want something thats low key..japanese cars are great.but....
by the way,i drove a honda s2000 yesterday,,,,what a neat car.i loved the gear box...its fast when you step on it.but when i got back in my 911,well what can i say..i have learned that 0-60 isnt everything,and feel is.my 911 is fast enough,but the overall package is just so so special..i have had my 3.2 for about 4 months and i just cant say enough about it.i live in nc.everyday i take it on drives that are country roads...its so special to me.i dont think an m3 or even a new 997(well maybe)could be this fun..heat on,windows-sunroof open,radar on and wow...its really ajoy..i thought the s2000 was faster off the line but the 911 had it at the top..the 911 feels so much more solid also,because it is..i cant say enough about my 3.2...i love it
Old 12-23-2005 | 02:45 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Joey,
I was just curious. It seems like just about everyone is advising you about another make of car. I see alot of MB's coming up for sale on the MB forums. If you want me to keep an eye out for one, let me know. Year, model limitations, mileage etc.
Mike
Old 12-26-2005 | 03:07 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Benzes are crap. I had a '99 CLK430 that had to go in the shop 13 times in 2 years. My old isuzu impulse was a dream compared to the nightmares I had with mercedes. At 32k miles they had to replace the engine, for starters. Look at an Audi or something else!
Old 12-27-2005 | 03:35 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Nonsense. Bad experiences with a single vehicle does not imply the rest of the vehicles "are crap" as you put it. I have owned several mercedes and while they are not problem free (what car is?), they have been excellent. Given:quality has decreased, but so has price. MB makes great cars. How many manufacturers offer high mileage badges for their cars when they reach 250,000 km, 500,000 km, 750,000 km and even a million km? I doubt isuzi does.
Mike
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:25 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Perhaps you should own a newer one. Most people I know who have or had upper class MBs think they're crap and will never own one again. My old "disposable" Isuzu put my Mercedes to shame. Probably put your Porsche to shame as well.
Old 12-28-2005 | 11:16 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

My wife wanted a Benz, period. I wanted something fun, AMG. I also want to do a turbo conversion on the 911, so maybe no AMG. We agreed on a happy medium and went with the C350. It still is fun, not racey, but fun. It has 7spd and 268hp at about 3300lbs and out brakes most cars. She has been extremely happy with it and certainly less harsh than a 3 series if a little slower to react. MB did retune the C for 2006 and seems a nice compromise.

Its faster than my 72' But, now I have the $$ for the turbo
Old 12-28-2005 | 11:22 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by papaya9
Benzes are crap. I had a '99 CLK430 that had to go in the shop 13 times in 2 years. My old isuzu impulse was a dream compared to the nightmares I had with mercedes. At 32k miles they had to replace the engine, for starters. Look at an Audi or something else!

correction, newer benzes are crap. if you get an older benz, say pre christler merger you will find they are much nicer, and much more reliable

Quick Reply: test drove a benz