Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to Renlist, New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pcar964,
Our new member has told me his right legs are okay but he is having problems with his left legs. Biggest problem is getting all four of his legs in the car at once!

Are you related to Kramer??
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
NiATE
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"pcar" you callin' me a wimp!!! Boxster... why I oughtta...

This car sat for "a while" and the MS was totally shot, so I suspect that either the calipers are gettng blow by or the pads are badly glazed.

And there is no question I bought this car for it's purity and LACK of refinement. I prefer older cars because they do not isolate the driver from the driving experience. For more of a narrative:

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=204

As far as these cars being "men's Porsches"... is it bad that my wife loves the car? She calls it HER car. I see a custody battle on the horizon...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 PM
My87Targa
Racer

welcome newb
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
your car has power brakes (Euro style), they work great & there is no sensible "power" upgrade for more boost (one can go to softer pads if the effort is just too much for your taste) - have the whole sys checked out, in case you have a failure.
This is incorrect. Porsche didn't add power assist brakes to any 911 prior to 1976 or 1977.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I don't see why anyone would want to add power assist to the more-than-adequate brakes that came with a pre-1974 911S. I would go through and make sure everything is functioning, from the master cylinder to the pads. I think you'll be surprised by how well the brakes work when everything is up to spec.

You can add the vacuum assist to the earlier cars. I had it done on my 72 -- although my 911 also runs 275/315 tires on 9.5x11x17 wheels and has 930 calipers and rotors. You have to weld in a piece of a later car's trunk floor sheet metal and the vacuum booster (there are at least two different types), and also add a vacuum line. I'm pretty sure there are also pedal cluster changes required.

But again, like everyone else says, it's almost unheard of to add the vacuum assist to pre-1977 911 with stock brakes. It would be serious overkill for such a light car.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:34 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Pcar964,
Our new member has told me his right legs are okay but he is having problems with his left legs. Biggest problem is getting all four of his legs in the car at once!

Are you related to Kramer??
haha - I was referring to the two individuals, one leg each Not related to Kramer
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NiATE
"pcar" you callin' me a wimp!!! Boxster... why I oughtta...

This car sat for "a while" and the MS was totally shot, so I suspect that either the calipers are gettng blow by or the pads are badly glazed.

And there is no question I bought this car for it's purity and LACK of refinement. I prefer older cars because they do not isolate the driver from the driving experience. For more of a narrative:

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=204

As far as these cars being "men's Porsches"... is it bad that my wife loves the car? She calls it HER car. I see a custody battle on the horizon...
Sounds like you have a very cool wife. I consider hydraulic clutches girlie, as well as most things designed to isolate the driver from the road. Your car is from an era when they had a great compromise between driver involvement and basic comfort, ever since then they've been adding crap here and there that does nothing (in my always humble opinion) but dilute the driving experience. I consider my 993 to be a somewhat girlie 911 by comparison, but the boxster might as well come with matching lip gloss.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I'm going to be even more aggressive. If your brakes are not fantastic, then there is something wrong with them that needs to be fixed. No way anything needs to be upgraded. (Ok, if you have a major power upgrade like Jack and you plan on racing it, then ok, but only if BOTH apply).

I would agree that perhaps you and your leg have to get used to the amazing power, modulation and control you have that you may never have experienced in a car before.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:01 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You really begin to appreciate the control and feel of the early brakes when you drive any of the NEW Pcars. The pedal is soft and mushy, it has very little feedback, and it basically feels like you're driving a buick. They're very powerful brakes on the new cars, but not nice to use.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:04 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Welcome aboard Karl. Get some pics up when you get a chance. I love the early 911. I've only had my car for a week and my first few times in the seat I wasn't thrilled with the brakes. Then I figured out I wasn't using them right. I find driving around town that it is much different than your over boosted typical daily driver brakes. Takes a lot of leg. But boy, get the speed up and want to shed it quickly and suddenly the brakes of legend are right there.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:46 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

to post pic, you can host your pic somewhere else and put the url between the tags as below:
[img]your url go here[/img]
You might have to right click the line above and click property to see the text.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Volney
Advanced

Just piling on all the comments re: the brake system. I have never heard of anyone who thought their early 911 lacked braking power. If everything is in order your brakes should be awesome. Bigger brakes should not really feel all that different, either (not boosting with vacuum, just upgrading to larger calipers) Larger calipers will cool better if you are on the track, but for a street car that is not tracked you shouldn't need anything more.

Good luck with your car!! Is it a stock 72S other than the slantnose?

Etiher way welcome aboard and join the fun! Don't let anyone put fuel in your oil tank!!

Vol

Quick Reply: New to Renlist, New to Porsche