Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G50 owners please explain what normal nioses to expect

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:21 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott,
My '87 does exactly the same thing. At idle in 1st gear it's OK but with the slightest throttle it rattles like the exhaust system is loose, until the R's rise a bit. Surprising that the very experienced guys at Midwest Eurosport in the Chicago area (who did my PPI) didn't tell me about the Getrag rattle when I complained about it. I wish I had tried Mobil1 before ordering an expensive case of Redline NS. Not only that, but Redline said my LSD would not chatter with NS but it did, so I ended up putting in some GM friction reducer additive. My tranny may have the Getrag Rattle, but it still works really sweetly. Congratulations on the purchase, by the way, the car sounds lovely and I'd like to see you post a photo. I was born in Detroit and graduated HS in Algonac. Whereabouts are you?
Dennis
Old 12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
grn356
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '87 911 Coupe with 60K miles has no rattle at all. Slightly notchy going into 2nd when cold. Has a mild "growl" noticeable at idle and in the lower gears. I purchased some Motor Bond's "Motor Silk" gear oil additive and noticed a significant reduction in this "growl". It's a bit pricy at about $50 for the treatment. Google "motor silk" for further info. It contains boron which supposedly reduces friction and "shock". I would do it again. Anyone else had experience with this additive??
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

spider,
oh.. ahahaha ha ha. Yes it's 1k rpm :lol: people might though we have F1.

KCPSG,
the pic of the white car is yours? The wheel size and the heighe the car sit is soo beautiful. Would you mind telling us wheel size and how and how much you lower it?

der mond,
exactly. Sound similar to the exhaust heat shield rattling. First car I test drove made me ran away quick because we thought the tranny is going soon. After test drove several cars and read about it, I know it's normal. Still I hope there is a quick/easy fix to this noise.
Right now I can tell that I can generate this noise easily when I cruise at 1k rpm doesn't matter which gear.
Yes, the car drive great and sweet, just the noise.
And notchy at first several shift. After that, the tranny get hot (maybe?), it sweet.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:09 PM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

yes the car in my avtar is mine. The wheels are Fikse FM 10's 7.5X17 in front and 9x17 rear. The car was just a hair below Euro spec and I cannot seem to find the actual height right now, I'll try to find it and post for you later.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

If it's a hair line euro spec then it is euro spec then.
Mine doesn't *** lowed as your (to the wheel weel lips) but it is way too lowed. I guess the wheel size does that. Mine is 16".
Answered my question. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 PM
real550A
Intermediate

I don't have any "noises" in my '88 G-50, but it sure shifts well with the Mobil 1 gear oil.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:43 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 202k on my teanny and have no problem cept for when its cold its hard to get in first and second. other then that it runs good, it deff. changes gears better when im at WOT but its livable when driving normal. i will look into changing my tranny fluid and see what it does
Old 12-24-2005, 08:25 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 87 Carrera had the rattle, but my 88 Carrera doesn't. I put the Mobil 1, 75 w 90 synthetic in it and it shifts very, very, well. In a G50, Mobil 1 is the way to go.

Quick Reply: G50 owners please explain what normal nioses to expect