Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear deck needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear deck needed

Where can I find a very high quality "paintable" cf rear deck (engine lid) for a late (preferably 89 model) 911? The fit needs to be perfect.
This may sound a little odd, but am rebuilding a 964 speedster and considering fitting an earlier deck lid. It's much lighter, better looking, drops right-in and does away with the moveable rear wing. Appreciate there are cooling and stability issues at sustained high speeds but you can't really drive speedsters at very high speed without losing what little hair you got left.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The decklids were all the same size up until the introduction of the 993. However, there are some minor differences from year to year with the license plate light. The big difference from your point of view, though, is that they changed the hinge spacing on the 964, moving it about an inch wider to accomodate the retracing lid. When guys like me add a 964 lid to an earlier car, we have to modify the hinge pieces to make the swap. In your case, you'd need to do the opposite.

(The low tech solution is to just bend them.)

The earlier decklid is a $50 ebay item. A good fit will porbably depend less on the decklid you buy than on how 'unique' your hand-made car was when it left the factory (or whether it's been subject to accidents, repair, or chassis twist over time).

The early lid is also MUCH lighter.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Am absolutely amazed there's somebody out there who knows the anwer.
The main purpose is saving weight - in addition to looks - and a cf decklid should save at least a further 5-7lbs. In which case, have you come across anybody who makes high quality cf decklids for this model? Or, can one find alu decklids instead?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:28 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

People told me to avoid the Al ones. I got FG for my '73 and it took a LOT of hours to get it to fit. There are many threads on CF parts on Pelican - one thing is to get a special resin if you really want to save wt. over FG - just the carbon weave cloth doesn't cut it.

Quick Reply: Rear deck needed