Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing 911 rear window trim...can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 AM
carpediem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 911 rear window trim...can it be done?

I have a 1987 911 and recently purchased a left rear window trim to replace damaged trim (part of it was missing). My mechanic removed the old window trim and attempted to replace the new window trim (using silicone as a lubricant), however he was unable to do so. He told me that I would need to have the rear window removed in order to do so. Is it possible to install the new window trim without removing the rear window....and if so...how?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
M491
Racer

It is absolutely, 100% IMPOSSIBLE to replace the rear window trim without removing the window.

(I assume you are talking about the fixed rear side window on a coupe).

The good news is that the window is very easy to remove and reinstall. The bad news is that by removing the trim without taking the window out first, your "mechanic" (I use that term loosely in this instance) probably bent the crap out of it, and you may now have a difficult time getting it to seat correctly.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:48 PM
carpediem
Track Day

Thanks for your input. I'm actually referring to the rear windshield. Is the answer the same? I have to remove the rear windshield to replace the trim? If that is the case, do I need to buy a new rear windshield seal too? I can see this turning into a cracked rear windshield. Sounds like this quick little replacement by "putting on a lot of silicone and just sliding it back in" is turning into a pricey little job.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
M491
Racer

Answer is the same for the rear windshield.

You don't need to buy a new rear seal, but it may not be a bad idea if you seal is old. New seals aren't terribly expensive and a new seal always looks nice!

No reason why removal and reinsertion of the metal trim should result in a cracked rear window. You should be careful, however, of the rear window defrost wires and connections.

I would, however, not trust your current mechanic to do the job. I'd go to a windshield place that knows what they are doing.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a new seal in it. It will conform to the glass and surrounding frame and fit a whole lot better as well as seal better. Ditto on the windshield place. If you provide the seal and the trim, they should be able to do it very well. Also have an agreement (in writing) that if they break the windshiel, they will replace free of charge. All you would pay for is the labor to remove and reinstall with new seal. Most places are good about doing business that way.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
carpediem
Track Day

Thank you both for your input. I really appreciate it. I will get a new rear windshield seal and have a windshield place do it. Plus, the next "little thing" that I do, I'll search the rennlist forums beforehand to get sound advice!

Quick Reply: Replacing 911 rear window trim...can it be done?