Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1978 911 turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Bodacious
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1978 911 turbo advice

I have found a '78 911 turbo that seems to be very well cared for. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for when purchasing. Obviously, I would get a PPI before purchase, but I was hoping to get some insight on any problem areas or quirks these cars might have. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You might want to post this to the 911 turbo forum too.

Marc
Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

These cars are getting scarce and are also becoming a bit collectable. most of them get hot rodded at some time in their life. I would look for a car that was untampered with and factory origional, and keep it like that.... I believe it would be a very solid investment.

If the car has has alot of performance upgrades to the motor, be a bit cautious as this will reduce the longevity of the engine, and can make the car tempermental to run.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bodacious
I have found a '78 911 turbo that seems to be very well cared for. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for when purchasing. Obviously, I would get a PPI before purchase, but I was hoping to get some insight on any problem areas or quirks these cars might have. Thank you in advance.
Sadly, they are OLD. 27 year old "supercars" can be fickle beasts. Be open with mind and wallet and there is nothing that can't be fixed.

Usual things to look for:
1) Collision repair
2) Clean title
3) Mileage is reflected in the general wear of the car
4) The turbo..
5) Rust (yes, I know 1978's are zinc galvanized, but see comment above- OLD and old cars are exposed to more and yes, rust can occur

1978-79 turbos are my favorites so happy searching!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
MotorMike
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely do the PPI. Have them do a leakdown test (rings, top end). Listen for "rattle" in the engine when it is warmed up and under load (bearings, piston slap, pinging). Make sure it isn't making too much boost (e.g. 1 bar = agressive modifications, wastegate problems) unless the previous owner has made the right fueling and intercooling modifications. Look for tailpipe smoke on cold startups (almost a normal condition for these cars but may mean some turbo seal wear). See if they have any documentation showing a pattern of regular oil/filter changes. Transmission should shift with no grinding (synchros).

Rear tires should leave smoke and black marks on pavement and a big smile on your face as the turbo kicks in.

Big engine problems will cost you around $10k for repair. These are expensive cars but lots of fun.

Mike

Quick Reply: 1978 911 turbo advice