Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Value Question...Need Help

Hey guys,

I have too many toys. I need some help putting a value on my 1976 911s

The car is black/black with sunroof, front & rear spoilers, and cookie cutter wheels. It is a narrow body non-SC flared car.

It has sport seats, and new carpet. The interior is in good condition and the dash is perfect. At some point in the past the car had A/C but does not now. It shows 155k on the clock.

The floor pans are solid, and there is no rust. there is no rust under the car either. The paint is shiny, and there is evidence that the car was hit at some point in the right rear fender. The repair was made, and the car tracks fine (ie no frame damage). There is a small bubble of rust at the base of the windsheild on the passenger side. There is no rust in the trunk.

I don't have any of the records. About a year ago, the engine seized on me and the car does not run. The 2.7 finally died. the transmission is in good shape and the clutch was also in perfect order. The only real minus with this car is that it does not currently run. I suspect it will require a complete rebuild or engine replacement.

This thing would make an awesome racecar or street stormer with a little time and energy. Unfortunately, after starting a new career, I don't have the time or inclination to fool with it anymore.

I would appreciate a little guidance as to what you guys & gals think this thing is worth. I really need to move it...it has been sitting in the garage for a year now & it is time for it to find a new home.

Thanks,

Cajun
Old 12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Wow, 20 views all day & no one wants to take a stab at helping me out???

Maybe it's worthless!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Cajun--If I had any clue as to early 911 values I'd chip in but my opinion would be about as effective as you tossing up some darts on a dartboard and taking the sum of your score divided by 2 as your dollar figure
Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cajun, you face a problematic situation. allow me to take a dim interpretation based upon what little I know...

'76 is not a sterling model year. your example has a blown engine, the AC has been ripped out, it has been hit, there are no records & the dreaded windshield post rust has begun to fight its way out (it has been munching away out-of-sight for 28 yrs). A careful buyer must also assume that there are things wrong that you may have not noticed, have forgotten, weren't important to you, or have cropped up since it has been parked. they might also be put off by Katrina's unfortunate recent visit.

hmmmmm. you can "make the market" on this car by putting it on ebay (& here on Rennlist, Pelican, nearby big city papers, etc) & telling US what it brings. I suspect $2500, maybe up to $2K more, if you find the guy who is seeking this exact car - who knows what a dreamer might bid - on his seventh beer, staring at a great set of pictures, at 4AM? good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Ked,

Thanks for the stab. You make my car sound so good!!!

The car is really not in bad shape, despite the fact that it does need an engine. I have been kicking around the idea of parting it out, but I can't help but think that someone who is looking for a good base to build a PCA or SCCA racer might be looking for a nice clean car to begin with...

It really is a clean example of a year that sometimes gets a bum rap...

The car WAS NOT in Louisiana during Katrina...I have is stored in a relative's garage in Houston. It was in Texas when the motor retired, so it escaped damage...

Thanks again for the imput!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cajun, the car may be a fine nominee for "backdating", that has become popular w/ the long-nose enthusiasts. they'd likely install a rebuilt or 3.0/3.2/3.6 motor anyway. the '76 rust issues were no worse (in fact, not as bad) as the highly sought-after '69-73 models they are emulating. also, the '76 was not too heavy (esp w/ AC gone, & that was lousy anyway). if the chassis is very straight & what rust exists is minimal & manageable, then you face more of a marketing challenge - getting exposure for the car & presenting it in the best light (both physical & figurative).
no, I am not talking myself into making an offer...
btw, I made an error - you need TWO guys up late on ebay lusting drunkenly after your car - maybe even 4 or 5. I hope you get it - good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Something is missing here...PICTURES!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

cajun, where is the car?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Ked,

Yeah I was thinking that it is worth around 5k as it sits...I know that pictures would help you guys in this guessing game!!!

The car is currently in my grandmother's enclosed garage in Houston, TX. I was on my way to see my then GF in College Station when the car broke. I called up a couple of my cousins in Houston, and we towed it to Houston and put it in her garage for safe keeping. It has been sitting there for almost a year now...any longer and it will qualify as a barnfind!!!!

Pedro,

I will look for some pictures that I may have on the computer...otherwise I will have to snap some more when I go back to Houston in two weeks...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My SWAG... a really nice 95% 76 911 would probably bring $10-12K or so. A solid driver with no major issues is probably $7-9K. However, an engine is about $5K (used) to $10K (factory rebuild) so do the math.... $4K +/- but you need to find the right buyer so be prepared to sit on it for a while.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cajun
I will look for some pictures that I may have on the computer...otherwise I will have to snap some more when I go back to Houston in two weeks...
Hi Cajun...after you figure out selling price, I'd list the car, with pics, on this forum and at the Pelican parts as well...good luck finding a good home for your car...
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Ked and JCP911 and their value assessments.

Here's what I'd do... Get the car out of the garage, wash it, spend 5 minutes vacuuming it. Clean it up and make it look like it was a loved car and worthy of a new motor or a solid foundation for a track car. Shoot some good digital pics of the exterior, interior and trunk (get someone with a decent camera if you don't have one. Don't use your cell phone's camera). Then, post it on Pelican Parts BB under the Porsche Cars for Sale section, Rennlist classifieds and other on line sources such as AutoTrader's classic car site.

Market the car's good points first:

Black over Black (lot of people like this combo)
Sunroof
Front & rear spoilers
Cookie cutter wheels
Narrow body non-SC flared car.
Sport seats
New carpet
Interior in good condition
Perfect dash
No A/C
Indicated 155k on the clock
Floor pans are solid and there is no rust under the car or in trunk.
Glossy Black Paint
Good Transmission
Fresh Clutch

Then, note the negatives (but keep the list short):

Rust bubble near windshield.
Original 2.7 liter engine in car, but frozen.
Evidence that the car was hit at some point in the right rear fender. The repair was made, and the car tracks fine (ie no frame damage).

Then, state your price of $5000 or best offer (or whatever you think you want for it) and see what happens.

Lack of records isn't going to hurt this car since it needs an engine anyway and it's a 2.7 with 155k on it. I wouldn't list that negative fact in your ad. The rear hit won't matter much at this point if it was a cosmetic only type "injury", but it should be noted and be prepared for questions on that (and have photos of that hit area ready to send out if need be). It seems there are people are looking for rust free tubs to transplant 3.6's (or whatever) into and you might find just the right buyer if the car is cheap enough.

Good Luck!

Jay
90 964
Old 12-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

As you have essentially gleaned from the earlier posts, 1976 was not a special year for a 911. (I know, I used to own a 77,--about the only year worse than the 76). Without a running car you are going to have a very tough time selling it as something other than a parts car. Perhaps you can find someone to rebuild that engine for you cheaply. The 76 was a bad car in that, like the 77, it has a magnesium case. Porsche did that for weight savings but it made the engine a nightmare,--bolts expand and contract at different rates than the magnesium. They lossen up quickly. On the 77s they had thermal reactors for pollution control,--an added nightmare.

Porsches generally are fairly rust-free bodies because of the trouble they went through in zinc-galvanizing them (starting with the 1975 MY). BUT,--keep in mind that your 1976 car is now THIRTY YEARS OLD. (How many 1976 Chevy Vegas are still on the road?) In short, you have something that will be worth about $3000 tops, on a good day.

You have to find the right person. Good luck!

Dan
2006 997S Cab coming in May!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Dan,

I thought about dropping a 3.2 in it (I have seen them for 5 - 6k)... The ONLY reason I have not fixed this car is because I recently pulled the trigger on a 930.

I am going to clean the car, shoot some pictures, and then decide what it is worth. Personally, I would ****** cars like this one up all day long at 3k....

Thanks again guys...

Cajun
Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

one large eggnog Daiquiri down and I'lll give you 2K tonight if you set it in my driveway before christmas.

Quick Reply: Value Question...Need Help