Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1971 911E MPI Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:58 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may already have seen this collection of MFI data, but if not, here's a link to John Hunt's great compilation.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...MFI/TipMFI.htm

Not sure what John is doing nowadays, a search didn't find him.

Vertex sells rebuilt MFI fuel (not injector) pumps as well as the injectors themselves. Their site shows $175, plus $70 core for the pump, and $75 for each injector. The site looks like it is still undergoing it's rebuild, but it has the potential to be better than the old. My latest catalog (#18) shows these same prices.

http://vertexauto.com/

I bought a rebuilt pump from them years ago for my '72T MFI and it was fine.

Have fun with your projects.

Mike
'93 C2
'72T
Old 11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I have been to this link, it has been the most helpful so far, but still no dice. I think my main pump may be the problem...does anyone know how much pressure it should have?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:26 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

The fuel pump and injector pump pressures specs are in this article.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ctor_Maint.pdf

When I was started having problems with mine, I T'd a pressure gauge in a line off of the fuel pump to verify. I put it in a line in the engine compartment after the filter, and can use it to monitor pressures at any time. A diesel truck garage may be ale to test your high pressure injectors for pressure and pattern.

I narrowed my issue down to the injector pump by removing all injector lines from the engine to see if the pump was putting anything out. It was not. I still need to have my pump refurbished/rebuilt. See the link in my original post for a contact for Pacific Fuel Injection, one of the few places left who will rebuild these old pumps.

Mike
'93 C2
'72T
Old 11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

My injector pump isn't pumping anything to any injectors, But I am not ready to say its the I.P. yet. I am going to put a new pump under the car first I think.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 PM
domtoni
AutoX

If the pump isn't pumping, have you checked the belt running the pump? These toothed belts need to be replaced.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

The pump in the car seemed to be getting fuel to the injector pump, but it stopped there. From the injector pump to the injectors nothing, the belt on the back of the injector pump is turning. even if that belt jumped, it would still be pumping fuel to the injectors.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
domtoni
AutoX

Lex,

I did alot of work on my car, and my car sat for 15 years. After pump all the old fuel out, the pump work flawlessly. Everything that I have read about these MFI pumps (actually these pumps are derivatives of aircraft engines) are incredibly reliable and do not need many adjustments.

If the belt is turning the pump, and fuel is getting into the injector pump, then something must not be right inside. If the problem isn't something dumb, then you may need to send it to Pacific Injection to sort out. Don't expect a small bill.

Sorry I can't help you anymore.

Dom
Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

All help is greatly appreciated The pump is stuck from varnish, the pulley turns the pump, and the cam inside the pump pushes the little pistons upward, but they are not coming back down, they are stuck! We are lubing them, one at a time, then using carb cleaner to remove debris...then re-lubing.. a few of the pistons are now free, I just hope we arent disturbing anything else inside, there are alot of working parts here. I cant afford not to at least try to "refurbish: this pump, considering the alternative.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

whats the website for Pacific injection, Does anyone know what they charge?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

>> whats the website for Pacific injection, Does anyone know what they charge?

This is the closest I've ever seen to a Web presence for Gus.

http://www.bayarea02.com/features/pfister-interview/

Sorry, not what you asked for, and I don't have any confirmed price ranges.

I've seen $800-$1200 mentioned on some boards as guesses, but never any confirmed prices with an associated list of what was required/replaced. Certainly, each pump would have to be evaluated and estimated on its own, but it would be nice to have some actual data from those who have had theirs repaired.

>> lubing them, one at a time, then using carb cleaner

I have two pumps on my bench waiting to try the same thing. Please keep us posted as to how you do!

Mike
'93 C2
'72T

Last edited by OUR9II; 12-03-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

Update: Well I appreciate the info, I called Pacific Rebuilders, $1000-$1200...I cant afford that at this time, I am pricing used working pumps, if our "reconditioning" fails. So if anyone has a used injector pump for sale, please contact me. I am sure, given enough time and effort, not to mention luck...our pump will work again.... But depending on the price it might be better to buy another part. I will know within the next 2 days whether or not I will be buying another used pump.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:16 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Lex,

Any update? I hope that you're successful. My '72T became less and less reliable as it was not used very often. I don't expect that anything is mechanically broken within my pump, I hope that it is just severely gummed up from the old gas. I too hope to fix it by exercising it on the bench with carb cleaner and oil, while spinning the toothed cam gear.

Be careful of pumps you may see on eBay or elsewhere, as many of these are in need of a rebuild, and may be in poorer condition than your own.

Good luck!

Mike
'93 C2
'72T
Old 12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Lex Luther
Intermediate

I dont know if i am making progress or not. The car now runs, and can be drivern around the yard, but it floods, smoking white, and occasionally backfireing, out the tail pipe. I started it today,and noticed my oil pressure was down. puloled the drain plug, and the engine had 2 quarts of oil, the firewall tank was full, How much should the engine have in it at any given time?..

Quick Reply: 1971 911E MPI Problem