Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starting after long storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005 | 04:02 PM
alextokar
2nd Gear

Default Starting after long storage

I need to restart my 1987 911 after a long, unintended storage. It has been sitting idle in my San Francisco garage now for one year -- got trapped behind piles of boxes during a remodel of the house.

Anyways, here's my question. Besides putting in a new battery do I need to take any precautions before starting the car to avoid damaging the engine, brakes or other parts?

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Alex
Old 11-24-2005 | 04:11 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Unless you out new Mobil 1 in the car before you put it away last year I would
definitely drain the oil and replace b/4 you try and start it. I would shoot a squirt of penetrating oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight before trying the starter. Change the gas. Once running, and after a refill of Chevron, I would put a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in the tank. Be very careful during your initial drive to see how the brakes function. Maybe I'm too careful but thats what I would do.

Doc
Old 11-24-2005 | 05:29 PM
alextokar
2nd Gear

Default Storage and Gas

Larry, Many thanks for the advice. Are you suggesting I actually drain and replace the gas before starting the car? If so, any instructions on how to do this would be appreciated. Would it be acceptable to just top up the tank immediately?

Alex
Old 11-24-2005 | 09:57 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

alextokar: First, I'd make sure that rodents haven't made a nest in the exhaust pipe or anywhere in the engine compartment. They have been known to chew through electrical wires.

If the fuel tank is full already, simply pour in a bottle of "dry-gas" (goes by several brand names; Sta-Bil is a commonly available one). Let it sit for awhile and bounce the car up and down as best you can to get it mixed as well as possible. This should take care of any condensation trapped in the tank. If the tank is less than, say, half full, add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil, and fill the tank with 93 octane (if available; if not, highest octane leaded gasoline you can find... even 91 should be okay). Changing the oil would be desirable but probably not absolutely necessary, especially if the car has Mobil 1 synthetic in it. Be sure the key is off and turn the engine over by hand (using a big wrench and turn it clockwise only) a few times just to ensure it's not bound up. You can also do this using the starter motor and keeping the gas pedal fully depressed (this cuts off fuel to the injectors and the car shouldn't start). I'm not arguing but also not convinced that you need to squirt anything down the spark plug holes (difficult to do anyhow). If you do squirt anything down there, I suggest a product called Marvel Mystery Oil. MMO is compatible with motor oil.I wouldn't want any pentrating oil in my cylinders, IMHO. With a new battery, i suspect the car will fire right away, assuming it was running okay when you stored it. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Starting after long storage