Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mini Cooper S vs 3.2 Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Ron Minson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need to be reassured that the Porsche is better? What was your initial reason for getting the car in the first place? So of us got our cars because they were what we dreamed about as kids and than as adults. Others got their cars for the track or the performance. If you’re looking for a car that has a great warranty for the price that you’re talking about you can get a new Toyota Camry and you will have a large back seat. I think that it all comes down to you and why you bought the car. What were you looking for and what are your currently looking for? What is important to you? Did you do the research? Has your current 88 lived up to your expectations?

I think for some of us we will always have a Porsche in the garage for others it is just a phase. It doesn’t matter if it is just a shell of a 914 or the 997 we just have to own one. That is the passion. For others speed, performance, warranty, or what our neighbors think are more important.

I hope that I am not being to negative here. A mini is a fun fur to drive, it handles great and they are the current fad. But when you have owned it for a few years will you still go out in the garage just to look at it? Will you have a smile on your face each time your sit in the driver’s seat, no matter if the car is not running? Will it have that same engine sound as you hit 4-6 grand? Will you still be obsessed with buying different waxes, leather cleaners, tire cleaners, having your car rags nicer than your best bathroom towels? Will you still not be concerned with what your car stereo sounds like because you never turn it on (out of choice) but just to listen to the car? Will you still be concerned about the weather because you don’t want to leave it outside when it is to hot, or too cold, or to wet? Do you really need air conditioning and or a good defroster? Will your car have the character that you’re looking for? Will you be looking for new back tires every 12 months? Will you take 45 minutes to go to the store when it is only 3 miles away? Will you search for the furthers parking space from the front of the store so that no one scratches the car and so that you can have that extra few minutes to stare at it fine fat *** as you walk back to the car.

That is love, passion and the reasons that I bought my car. I will always own a Porsche. I don’t want to be that guy or woman that keeps walking up to me in the parking lot and telling me that they used to have a Porsche and they had to sell if for some reason or another but wishes that they still had it.

Just my 2 cents. The decision is up to you and you need to feel good about what do.

Ron
Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 PM
papaya9
Instructor

Anyone drop a V8 in a mini yet?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:04 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron, no better words have been spoken in my opinion. That post should be placed on all the boards.

Jason

93 928 GTS
Old 11-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I really like the Mini Cooper S and it will probably be my daily driver in the next few months. However, although it is a great little car and very, very fun to drive, it does not compare to a Porsche, especially a 911. I read on a Mini forum where a guy traded his Carrera for a Mini. IMO, if you trade your 911 for a Mini, then you are not really a true Porsche enthusiast.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Variety is the spice of life, so why not have both?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

I love my P-car, and Ron's post expresses the spirit of that passion. Additionally, comparing the handling of my 911 in a 30 MPH hairpin curve makes a FWD Mini feel like steering a shopping cart.

Driving my 911 is personal a experience that I would compare with jumping from a rope swing on a hot summer day, while the Cooper is more of a traffic commuter.

Don't get me wrong; I like Mini Coopers and drive the wheels off of them every chance I get, but I also like riding on trains and driving my kids to Disney in a mini-van.

Luckily, my commute is 25 miles of rural roadways with a multitude of curvaceous detours available at my whim. However, if I had to fight 25 miles of gridlock to and from work I would probably buy a Mini-Cooper S with a moonroof and garage my 911 for weekend play.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have instructed on the track in a few Porsches of your vintage as well as a few Cooper S's and there is no comparison (other then real climate control and other creature comforts). I have no idea about the specs on the Cooper S, but, it is not near as quick as I thought it would be. There may be a comparison in an autocross; however, I don't have a point of reference. For a real challenging comparison (if you like the boxy approach), try a VW R32 if you can find one. I think one of those would make a great winter car.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've driven the VW R32 on the track, and I was surprised at how nicely it handled and how much useable power it had on tap.

I've also driven students' Minis, both the base model and the 'S'. The Mini is a fun little car, but even the S felt seriously underpowered.

Neither the VW or the Cooper really compares to a 911.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree. Mini Cooper S Convertible w/ Works Package - great fun for quick twisties. But totally different than P-cars.

2005 MiniCooper S Convertible
2004 Range Rover
1997 993 TT S
1997 Defender 90
1989 930
1989 Speedster
1973 E/RS 2.9 Twin Plug
1960 B Roadster
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Steven_H...I have to congratulate you for your garage...what a nice stable...I don't really care about the first two but from the TT down...what a collection...
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
jwt996
Advanced

Default Pedros on target

Pedro: Bottom line, your 356C is one of my favorites. Vote for Pedro!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

R32 is a crazy car with alot of potential,

a buddy of mine bolts blowers on those things for a living, on dyno day, for the Eurotuner GP it threw down 498 WHP and 371 FTLBS at the wheels..................with a S/C and bolt ons.......................and its AWD....................and it drove to the event...................nuts to a Cooper S
Old 12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwt996
Pedro: Bottom line, your 356C is one of my favorites. Vote for Pedro!
Thanks for you vote! Unfortunately sold it to a guy in Belgium a couple of months ago...I've been missing it terribly...the 993 is a lot of fun but not as much fun as a 356...I'll be looking for a "topless" C next year...

From a 356 old timer:

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow..."
Old 12-01-2005, 03:09 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Variety is the spice of life, so why not have both?

My Cooper is on the boat crossing the pond, I'll have it in a couple weeks, and while not an S, it will be an enjoyable commuter (as someone else said, for modern conveniences and climate control).... will be fun to autocross too
Old 12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
mlegere
7th Gear

My 0.02 after having both the Mini Cooper S and a Boxster I say if you can afford two cars go for it. The Mini Cooper S with LSD and a 22MM rearsway bar with a 15% reduction SC pully and ECU remap is a big time blast to drive.

As far as the Box-car goes it's still the best car I have ever owned.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S vs 3.2 Carerra