Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

victory motor cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:50 AM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default victory motor cars

i was soooo close to buying a car from this place.i was assured that it needed nothing.i was smart enough to spend 200 bucks to have a ppi.the care was kinda messy.i just read on another forum that a guy bought a car,and when delivered,it would not start,would not pass emissions,lots of leaks,and 8k to fix.
in my deal,when i went back to him to ask him to fix the stuff,he said no.he said that the ppi was a bunch of crap.
the moral of the story is PPI...PPI...PPI.it saved my butt..
many pepole on this forum say wait and the right car will come.2 weeks later i found an 87...great shape in and out..i have put in some money.i knew the sunroof was broken,and an alternator.ouside of that ,the car has been a dream.joey
Old 11-13-2005, 03:19 AM
joey c
Pro

noticed i made a mistake...the CAR was messy
Old 11-13-2005, 06:44 AM
dependencies
Instructor

http://forums1.roadfly.com/porsche/f...6657283-1.html

Lets not beat about the bush here, is this what your reffering to
Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
dougpt10
Track Day

Default Victory

is NOT the place to buy a car from. Too many horror stories and one ofthe local Porsche places is in cahoots with them so the PPIs look great but the cars are crap. Robert Neal is a jerkoff. Do not even think about getting a car from them.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM
joey c
Pro

wow there are more horror stories then i realized.the latest is a guy that bought a turbo.i sure hope that people visit this site before buying a car.i have friend looking to buy a 87-89 3.2.i told him to come around here and wait for the right car.the same advice i got here and get a ppi.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my car from VM in Houtson and drove it back to New York without any prb (had it checked by a friend prior to buying). Did a complete check-up w current mechanic, who confirmed it was in excellent mechanical condition. 7 months and 6K miles into my purchase, I spent $3k on maintenance stuff (break pads, front tires, 75k tune-up) but no major fixing. I feel I paid about $2k to $3k more than I would have paid buying from a PO direct, but knew it at the time.

Thinking back, it was my first P-car and I would do things differently (PPI and maybe more research) but I don't regret my purchase and feel I got good customer service. Just my own experience.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
joey c
Pro

i dont doubt there are good cars there.but when he is advertizing a car with:sunroof,cruise,rear wiper,ect..and none of the options are working.come on.and hes a jerk to boot.its a shame that a car with so much prestige gets diminished to a crook.he went on to say that its a 18 year old car and is not new.my argument is that fine its old but the sunroof and cruise should work.fix it!!!!!
where he is STUPID,is his website looks great,the cars look GREAT...fix the cars.get them all working right,be HONEST most of all,and he has one of the best used dealerships in the country.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 AM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Lightbulb I live about 3 miles from Victory.

I have gone to his place and seen many of his cars, some are great, some not so great. He has a reputation as an aggressive porsche salesman. Bottom line: There are two types of used car dealers, enthusiasts who collect fine Porsches and just happen to sell them: RPM in houston is a good example, another is AIC, and then Car dealers whos sell cars to enthusiasts. The former have great cars but are charging top dollar. The latter have less expensive cars, but caveat emptor. Robert is the latter. PPI is the key, and in Houston, either Eric Anderson at Eurocar Werks or Sam at Pro Technik (http://www.protechnik.com/) are the best for PPI. Neither have any vested interest in Victory and both will give you an honest appraisal of the car. This has been my own assessment after spending about one month looking for an 87 - 89 911 and doing LOTS of research. YMMV. But I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water...Robert does have some nice cars...just check it out before you purchase.

PS - I ended buying a car from Daniel Schmitt in St. Louis, another dealer with a checkered reputation. So far everything has been great. I will post my full experience after the car arrives.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

My $0.02 is that Eurocar Werks is not the place to go if you buy from Victory. He does work for them and also missed a couple of major issues (as in a cracked cooling fan hub) in my PPI. I would say that if I hadn't driven 14 hours to get to Houston I would have passed on the C2 I got.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno. I read the "complaint" thread, and there may be a rush to judgement on this whole situation. For example, complaining about a old Porsche speedo being 5 MPH off is like complaining about the engine being in the trunk. Ditto the windshield, which are notoriously hard to replace correctly (many glass shops won't even attempt them). The O2 sensor was also funny, as the car has headers (no cats) on it. Clearly, the buyer that had the issues is not all that familar with these cars. To have everything corrected, and to have the Carrera chain tensioners added for $2600 is a great deal!

The seller is absolutely correct in his defense of the deal...these are OLD cars! Buying a used car is a speculative risk...if you invest and are vigilant about the PPI, you go in with both eyes open and minimize (NOT eliminate) the risk. Unfortunately, too many people are so hung up on buying a "Porsche" (or a Mercedes, or Ferrari, or whatever), and they look past the fact that the newest SC was delivered in early 1983...almost 23 years ago! I'm not saying this seller or his dealership are great guys or anything...I don't know them from Adam. Still, the whole topic sheads light on the bigger picture of buyers really understanding what they are buying, for better or for worse.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I have stated this over on Pelican, I don’t care if he buys eBay cars and flips them, that’s capitalism in my mind. I do care that he buys them under an assortment of other eBay names and then they show up on his website. I do care that a lot of his inventory on his website does not exist. I do care about posting under two different names on the same web board to pat himself on the back. These cars are not rare, if you don’t like his games then shop elsewhere. Either way do yourself a favor and get that 250 PPI.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:00 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
These cars are not rare, if you don’t like his games then shop elsewhere. Either way do yourself a favor and get that 250 PPI.
Exactly.

I'll add that sometimes "web imitates reality." You have to be just as careful with a seller the next town over as you do with one 3000 miles away. Of course, locally you have your senses and you aren't relying on pictures to tell the story. It's usually what lies beneath the sheetmetal that tells the real story, though, and that is where an experienced mechanic and the PPI become invaluable.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:51 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i think buying an old Porsche is like choosing a wife.... you are going to be living with the decision a long time, and it can be pretty miserable (and expensive) if you pick the wrong one.... if you've never had a Porsche before, they ALL look good... act in haste repent in leisure...

Take your time and look at alot of cars.... there are ALWAYS 911s around.... when the right car comes along, you'll know it.... if you feel any sense of unease about the car... there is probably a reason....

Just my opinion, but I would lean heavily toward buying from a private owner... generally, you are going to get a more honest assessment of the car, and a better price. 80% of the time you will meet a nice, honest person... the other 20% your sleazeball meter probably goes off, listen to it...

Finally, hook up with someone in your local Porsche club... that's where most of the better cars change hands, and everybody knows the cars... so if somebody is lying about the car, people will probably know about it...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked there a couple of months ago when I was looking for my turbo. The first thing that sent up a red flag for me was that the inventory that was online & what was actually on the ground in his showroom did not match up.

Several of the cars that were online advertised as for sale were not there.

Secondly, he is a high pressure tactic salesman. I don't like it when someone tries REALLY hard to sell me something that I don't want. At the time, I told him that I was looking for an '87 or '88 930. He tried really hard to talk me out of that and into a '76 even AFTER I told him several times that that was not what I was looking for.

On the bright side, many of his cars looked good. Beauty is only skin deep though...the thing has to run...

Quick Reply: victory motor cars