Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73 911 engine questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 73 911 engine questions.

in 73 could a tagra model have came with a 2.7? if so how? I know they came with a 2.4. were these fuel injected? if so how did they work with out any electronics? the gear box in a 73, is their any known issues? I am picking up my first 911 next week. it is a 73 with a fiberglass slant nose conversion. the car has been sitting for a little over a year. the story goes, that the gent started the conversion, (looks really good) but never finished the job, I guess he was going to finish the odds and ends such as lighting... so he got the body installed and painted by a qualified body shop, drove the car home and it has been sitting in his garage ever since. the agreement was he was to have the car finished before i pick it up. it is in the shop now getting this work done along with a complete tune up. the car does run and drive pretty well as it sits, but this work was all part of the deal. I know the car has a 2.7 and it is FI.....he claims the car was one of a "handfull" that had a 2.7 in 73. However i do not think he really knows. I think he thinks he knows, but something tells me different from everything i read. their is a lot of info on the 911's in general on the net, but not really on the 73. any advice would be great.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:55 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the land of Air Cooled. The sound, the smell, the thrill of it all.

You will find the car to be much more simple than your 928.

You can find most of your answers here.

A 2.7 liter engine from the factory is a rare bird in a '73 and would not be in a slantnose conversion. If it was a factory '73 with a 2.7L, the car would be one of the very few coveted 2.7RS Carreras.

For the fuel injection, the system is called CIS (continuous injection system). Although Porsche (and it's developer Bosch) call it K-Jetronic, it is mechanical, not electronic. A search on the web (or here or at the Pelican BBS will unearth a wealth of info. Not all people like CIS and often have the car converted to Carbs but i can personally say that a well tuned CIS is a pleasure to drive but I know I have left some performance on the table....
Old 10-30-2005, 11:15 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

worst case scenario...
the nose was knocked off or rotten, so they made a slant nose out of it.
the engine was shot, so they installed a (un-rebuilt) 2.7 out of a '74-77 (NOT primo yrs for motors).
otherwise, just peachy.

go in w/ EYES VERY WIDE OPEN & consider getting an early 911 expert to independently PPI this suspect (unless it is free... & even then...). good luck & have fun.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default here it is

www.innovative-pos.com/porsche911.html
Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good grief, if it was a '73 RS, there goes a hundred grand down the s.....! Try to get the engine number and the car's VIN for us... Also, which FI, CIS or MFI?
Pete
Old 10-31-2005, 04:11 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

If you are really really lucky and find that it is a 73RS motor and chassis and you can get it cheap I would try to restore it if I were you - one of the greatest looking Carreras of all time - love to own one

Harry

Oops, I realised that you said it was a Targa so not RS I'm afraid.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default yeah right

I have the vin it shows that it is t type targa VIN 9113110464. I do not have the engine number. where is this number at on the engine? Thier seems to be some confusion on his end. I have him checking right now to make sure it is infact a 2.7 and not a 2.4.......

PS I have never been lucky, Never..... so the chances of it being an RS even if it ws not a targa are about -100%.....

Last edited by Shark Attack; 10-31-2005 at 04:37 PM. Reason: want to add comment
Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Shark: The reason that I asked about which fuel injection makes the whole thing much easier. If it's MFI (Mech. Fuel Inj.) it could be a special motor, if it has CIS it's nothing special at all. There are two "2.7" worlds out there, and those parts/cars are worlds apart regarding value.
Pete
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default how do i tell?

how can i tell the diff? I know they look like carbs... will the engine number help? and where is this engine number

Last edited by Shark Attack; 10-31-2005 at 10:01 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

that VIN # is associated w/ a '73.5 T Targa, delivered w/ 2.4 CIS. 1302 produced.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
how can i tell the diff? I know they look like carbs... will the engine number help? and where is this engine number
CIS Engines have a very unique look. This is a shot of my 2.4L CIS Engine.

Note that the air cleaner has it's intake on the left hand side. Also note the thing with ribs behind the air cleaner, this is part of the induction system that connects the air/fuel meter to the throttle body.

Engines with MFI or carbs have their throttle bodies directly above each of the cylinders.

The first picture below is a car with MFI. The second has Carbs.
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default engine pix

here is a camera phone pix of the engine compartment. they currently have it apart doing the tune up. I have no idea what i am looking at.... I uploaded it.. i guess it will show? if not a link will follow
Old 11-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Shark: I'm sure that you've got a '73 T (2.4 liter w/MFI). Some were built before the CIS engine (known as the '73.5 T) came into the picture. Basically, your car is a '72 with the oil reservoir behind the rt. rear wheel (instead of in front of it). By VIN it's highly possible that your car's drivetrain is completely original...
Pete
Old 11-01-2005, 06:44 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a shame. Restored, that's a 20K+ car. But the fact that it's had a slantnose conversion, and that it's a Targa, and that it appears to have very few original pieces left -- and the odds that the shop doing the 'tune up' is screwing up the MFI -- all means it would take a lot of money to get it back to half that value.

(To get it to 20K might easily take 30K to 40K. )

You could be really taking a bath on that car if you don't have it checked out by an independent shop for collision damage, rust, transaxle condition, and what sort of shape the MFI components are in.

If you don't mind telling us, what are they asking for it?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default not really heading inthat direction

i guess it would be a shame if thats what i was looking to do.. but its not. i am in the car for very little $$$. So i don't think i will "take a bath" they guy doing the work is capable. i have no worries. this whole thing started out as wanting a new hobby. so i sold all my radio control airplanes, helicopters and jets and bought a 928.... well that didn't work and its turned into a 911. so be it..... as for whats original, hmmmm i would say ahhh none of the body, MAYBE the doors and engine cover and thats about it! You have to admit, no matter how much of a "stock" guy you are if someone is looking at the car that does not know what they are looking at, It does look like a Bad A$$ little car, huh? its all about toys, Some kids liked their Bigwheel just the way it came out of the box on christmas day... But some of us had imagination!

i obtained the car in a 928 gone bad purchase. I do not even have 1/4 of your "restored value" into the car, besides. its not what you pay for something it's not even if you got a bad or good deal in reality. its what you think you got. If you think you got the shaft, you got the shaft. If you think you got the deal of a life time. Well then thats what you got. Make people feel good about them selves and you too will feel good about yourself!

Last edited by Shark Attack; 11-01-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add note

Quick Reply: 73 911 engine questions.