Twin Plug 72 Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:50 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Plug 72 Car

Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing a car for historic racing. One of the cars is a 72 with a twin plug motor. I am told the motor is valuable. I am not familiar with those motors, can someone please summarize the difference between a stock motor and a "twin plug" (other than two plugs please? Any idea what twin plug motors are worth?

Thank you.
Roy
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You would have to know a lot more about the motor to be able to determine a value. In addition to the specs (displacement, stroke, case, etc.), you'd also want to know the name of the engine builder. Anyone claiming high value for a motor they're selling should include a build sheet with all of this. Otherwise, it's just someone's old project.

There are $20,000 motors out there, and then there are a lot worth less than $2,000. As an example, I have a twin-plugged motor in my 1972 that has no historical or special-interest value at all.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Roy:

Since twin-plug conversions are much more commonplace than they were several years ago, its difficult to say whether that motor is special or not. One would need a LOT more & detailed information about its internals.

Further, there are several kinds of twin-ignition conversions for 911 engines and some add more value than others.

Metaphorically speaking, "twin-plug motors" usually refer to a high-performance or racing version of the 911 engine and therefore a lot more information is needed to make any distinctions,...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:50 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Jack and Steve. I'm going to look at the car next week and will report back with more dumb questions

Thanks again.
Roy

Quick Reply: Twin Plug 72 Car