The waiting is OVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The waiting is OVER!!!

Hi Everyone,

I picked up my first p-car in Vancouver yesterday. She is a 1985 Carrera Coupe as per my signature. I knew these cars were fast but I had no idea just how fast. I have driven alot of vehicles but this car truely scares the !@#$ out of me. I guess that is a good thing ... All I can say is WOW! Oh and I stalled her today on the way home with a coworker right behind me. Boy did I feel like an ***. This weekend will bring many hours of detailing and some minor repairs ie: the rear window defroster doesnt work, there are some cosmetic rips and she needs a good bath inside and out.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Pointman. I know I said congrats on the Pelican board, but, you have a great car. Drive it & enjoy it. I like the colo(u)r too.

Ian
Old 10-20-2005, 01:53 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Sweet!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 AM
tbill
Racer

I had the same reaction to the quickness of the 911, the 1st time I stuck my foot in it. Never have I had a vehicle that reacts this way!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember my drive home when I picked up my 86 from the shipping company. Took a little while to get used to the feel of the stickshift. I had the same reaction as you in regards to the speed. Man are these things fast. It seems like it plasters your back to the seat when you accelerate.
Dont be too embarressed about stalling out. About a week after I got mine, I parked outside a business for a couple minutes, when I returned I had a small group of admirers looking at it (about 5 or 6 people). So after a few questions and compliments, I was feeling pretty good, jumped in the p-car........and stalled it in front of everyone! Oh well.
Mike
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I remember soon after getting my car, I was driving on Highway 1, somewhere north of Half Moon Bay in California. It was two lanes and I decided to pass a slower semi in front of me. I downshifted, accelerated around the semi and pulled back into the lane. Then I glanced down at the speedo - over 100 mph! I had no idea. If I had to guess I would have thought maybe near 80 mph. Needless to say, it was an ear to ear grin for a good part of the rest of the day. :-)

Note that I realize that so many of the Porsches owned by those reading this (including my own Boxster S) will pop 100 in nothing flat. But, this was almost 20 years ago when my car before that would need a loooong stretch of road to crack 100 mph. And here I did it with a downshift and a short swing around a truck. Long live Porsche . . .
Old 10-20-2005, 12:29 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I nearly traded my '77 911S for a Boxster recently, so on the way there I decided to top the speedo on a secluded stretch of highway.

Most of my hot rods would hit 135 or so, but I was astonished to watch my speedo needle pass the 150 MPH mark and continue to climb. There were no more numbers left, so I backed off on the pedal and proceeded to call all my friends.

Boxster's are nice, but the guy did me a favor when he backed out of the deal. Watching him stall my 911s was like watching someone else dance with my wife. He questioned my new racing clutch so I just showed him the receipt and drove away with a smile.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:33 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had my modest 1976 199S for 15 years--half its life--and I STILL smile every time i turn the key. Just had a day at Dunnville Autodrome cheek to jowl with a good friend as we chased eachother. That was more than an smile, it was a mystical experience.

BTW, there can be a number of reasons for the RW defogger to stop working. First check the real in the engine compartment on the panel driver's side. Next, because it's easy, I suggest you check for continuity through the traces on the rear window. I spend hours looking at my problem and it turned out that each and every "wire" (traces) on the windshield was open. The wiondow has been polished to death and shows open every 2" or so, making it not worth fixing.

Quick Reply: The waiting is OVER!!!