Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to clean and repack half shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean and repack half shafts?

No one wants to buy my used half shafts (78 911SC), so I plan to clean and repack them as track spares. Can someone give me some detailed guidance on how and what to clean and then on repacking them with grease? The manuals seem a bit thin on this topic. Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

huge threads on Pelican - search and put VW in the term list to find some workshop manual pages posted on this
Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I am doing that right now actually . You may find your cv joints are shot as I found 3 out of my 4 were. very simple realy. There is a clip on the end of theshaft.use ssoome cclip removers ( external,) or you can use needle nose with a fine point. Push the boot back down the shaft to give yourself room.
After you get the clip off you should be able to pull off the entire cv joint off fairly easily. I always wear old clothes and surgical latex gloves to save my hands getting filthy. Works great and they are cheap. Makes cleanup a snap too. I always hanga plastic bag before starting for garbage and lay out a piece of paper to put parts in. I drop all the parts into my oil changing pan and wipe the thick of the grease off with a rag, it is surprising how long that rag will last. After the worst is off a clean the parts off with some varsol. Inspect all parts closely the inner piece inside the cage after all the ***** have fallen out is where the damage occurs. after clean up inspect this for damage, believe me you will recognise the metal fatigue when you see it. I have 3 siting in front of me right now. Mine is also a 78sc with 170000km and if yours is original like mine I have a feeling you will be just throwing the whole lot away. You should always replace the boot anyway because you don't want to mix old grease with new, and you may need new CV joints, and all you will be left with is the shaft ;-). That is exactly where I am at . Autohaus has the cv joints for about 68.00 each and the boot is 40 for lobroe. and you still have to buy grease and new bolts.
If you want give me a Pm and we will chat more., but there is lots of links about it as stated.

good luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 AM
bbh03
Instructor

Thanks Randy, I'll search it tomorrow.

Iceman, thanks for the advice - I suspect there may be some damage too. I have brand new half shafts, but was thinking of checking these out and seeing if they are good enough as temporary limp-home shafts should I have issues at the track. I will likely not rebuild them if they require new CVs and go about trying to sell them as core again! I don't (yet) have a press, so I don't want to be repacing CVs, although boots definitely.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:30 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

oh yeh - there is a large thread - recent one - by recale (Randy Cale) - Grady basicly walks him thru the whole thing or a lot of it...

search on recale

Good Luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
bbh03
Instructor

Found it. Thanks Randy!

Quick Reply: How to clean and repack half shafts?