Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G50 on 83 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation G50 on 83 Carrera

Hello. I need some info about transplan a G50 from a C2 1994 onto a 1983 Carrera turbo loock. Wich parts do I need to buy? Headackes and troubles in the proces? Any help?

Thank's
Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a very big, expensive project. Bigger than an engine swap.

Here's information I gathered on it when I was considering it.

You'll need a new hydraulic fluid reservoir, pedal box with master cylinder, the three lines that run the fluid from the master cylinder through the tunnel and out to the slave cylinder, and a soft line to plum from the reservoir to the master cylinder to match the hydraulic clutch for the G50. You'll need a G50 shifter, shift rod, and coupler -- and you'll need to lenthen the coupler. You'll need a short bellhousing kit for the G50. (You may still need to move the motor back, slightly which will hurt your weight distribution.) You'll need a G50 clutch package that is designed to mate to your engine (Patrick Motorsports and Kennedy Engineered Products. do this type of work). I believe you need a standard 915 flywheel with a modified pilot bearing, which will allow you to use a G50 clutch disk, pressure plate, ring gear, and throwout bearing. You will also need the updated clutch release fork and release fork pivot, plus the pivot needle bearings and end cap. Don't forget a G50 speedo sensor and possibly a G50 starter.

You need to cut the old torsion tubes and replace the tubes and the torsion bars with the later type, reinforcing the area in the process, or change to coil-overs. If you change to coil overs, you'll need to reinforce the rear crossmember and the shock tower caps, and I think you'll be definitely moving the motor further back if you leave the old torsion anchor intact. Axles are the final thing you'll need to tackle.

At least I think that's the last piece. I got that far down the list, and decided to stick with the 915.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!!I never though that was an extensive work. Definetly to much work to do. I may suggest the client keep the tranny and swap the C2 engine on his car. Does the 915 works with the C2 engine? We have a complete engine for sale from a C2 1994 with 70k miles on it. It comes with cables, ECU, exhaust, etc. and that is the other option. Thank's for the complete info Jack!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:07 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure that this car isn't some kind of a hybrid to begin with, there isn't such a thing as a 1983 Carrera. 1983 was the last year of the SC, and no turbo look package was ever offered on that model. That is either a 1983 conversion, or a 1984 Carrera. The 915 tranny is consistant between both models, however.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Corte: Please PM me with details regarding the engine. Thanks!
Pete

Quick Reply: G50 on 83 Carrera