Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?

I've seen several threads on this site where people have said that they intend to dye their faded convertible top, but nobody seems to have followed up to report how it went, what the best product might be to use, what to watch out for, etc.

I've seen recommendations for using vinyl dye on the top and I've seen recommendations for using canvas dye... still not sure if my top is vinyl impregnated or not, and it seems like an important question.

Anyone actually done this yet?

TIA!

2000 996 Cab 4
Old 10-12-2005, 04:57 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i did it on a previous car with a black mohair hood the results were amazinf the hood looked brand new after having taken all the crap from a body shop for about a year i will get the name and supplier for you they are in the uk what colour is your hood
Old 10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. If you can recommend a product which worked well for you that would be great. I've got the metropol blue top. It's a grey-blue medium dark color.

I'm pretty sure that mine is vinyl impregnated, which would limit the kind of dye/chemicals I can use on it. C4 Pazzo recommended I try a renewer/sealant product on it first, which sounds a lot easier:

"Before dyeing or replacing, try Raggtop protectant. I used it on my 2000 metropol
blue top a year ago and it made a huge difference. It made the top much darker
(less faded) and water beads up now."

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 10-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 90 Cab done by a detailer and it looked fantastic afterwards. That was about 5 years ago and it still looks brand new today (except for the minor tear at the pivot point on both sides)

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?