Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What makes an Outlaw Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:24 AM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What makes an Outlaw Porsche?

Just want to get some thoughts here on what makes a Porsche an Outlaw?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally I'd say it is a car that is super clean, but done with non-origional Porsche parts. The term originated with guys putting 911 engines, flares, Fuchs wheels, disc brakes etc on 356s. Clearly "purists" who believe in 100 point factory correct restorations were horrified... so these guys were "outlaws" from the concours standpoint...but the cars are cool.

For 911s the R-Gruppe does the same thing... SWB cars with carbed 3.0 engines and RSR flares and all manner of 911R clones are the norm.

IMHO, for the car to be an true "outlaw" it must use Porsche parts of different eras and/or have genuine Porsche roots... speedster replicas, 20 inch wheels etc, while they might be nice, I would say are just specialty cars, but not "outlaws" in the stricter sense of the word.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how to define an Outlaw? beyond being a 356 w/ a factory chassis, I think its an open game.
here's an example (kinda)...
http://www.356registry.org/Articles/Emory/cool.html
some distinguish between 356s that the factory MIGHT have designed (concept continuation) & cars that they would NEVER have designed. what was inside the mind of Ferry Porsche? vs who cares?

{I suppose 911 owners may claim "we can build Outlaws, too!", but I can't recall being at an event where everyone stood around a heavily modded 911 & said - "there's a nice outlaw"...}

Quick Reply: What makes an Outlaw Porsche?