Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

warm stall due to oil pressure switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
cccscotland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warm stall due to oil pressure switch?

Hi all, I have an 81 3.0SC which has a curious problem. From cold it starts perfectly, with no sign of the oil light coming on. If it is warm, it won't start and the oil pressure light remains on. My auto electrician thinks that the oil pressure switch may be faulty, and there is a mechanism whereby if the car senses low oil pressure, it cuts power to the fuel pump or ignition, hence the car not starting. Could he be right? If so, where does the oil pressure switch live?
cheers
Matt
81 3.0 SC
Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a cold start does the oil light stay on when it is running? My '77 2.7's oil pressure sensor is just below and to the right of my fan. It has two wires coming off it.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt: The SC has NO protective mechanical or electrical system that will prevent the car from starting. If your car has a warm no-start problem the oil light stays on because there is not sufficient pressure to turn it off. Your starting problem can be a number of things, but the two most common are a faulty accumulator, or a faulty fuel pump/check valve. I would have someone very familiar with your car check those items, actually, if the accumulator is original just replace it and test the car. It's the odd-shaped green device that's located next to your fuel filter inside the engine compartment on the left wall. FYI: The switch for your oil press warning light is located on top of the engine, forward and below the airbox (you can't see it without a good mirror and flashlight). The part "Laugh" speaks of is a small can (yours will have a single wire attached to its top) that is for the oil pressure gauge.
Pete

Quick Reply: warm stall due to oil pressure switch?