Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question about possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Chad H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about possible purchase

Hey everyone. First time poster, long time reader.

There are a few local late 70's 911's in my area (Columbus, OH) that are up for sale.

One of them I've been talking with owner about seems fairly good but I wanted to get some opinions on it from you guys, to see what I'm overlooking or general areas I should be looking.

I know I should do the following when moving forward with a purchase:

1) Pre Purchase Inspection (Myself, with things to look for)
If that goes good, then have it taken to a porsche mech to look it over.

Anything else I'm missing?

Here is a link to one of the cars (it's over at ebay right now, it may sell, but it's a good basis).
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1843894361" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1843894361</a>

Thanks for taking out time to help!

-Chad
Old 07-21-2002, 06:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chad:

As you may know, the 2.7 cars (1974-1977) are known for their weak motors. Make sure any 2.7 car you are looking at either has the weaknesses corrected (verified with proper documentation from a reputable shop) or the purchase price leaves you some room to correct any problems. 2.7 cars can be wonderful 911's but make sure you don't get stuck with a bad one.

The 911SC which was built from '78 to '83 have much stronger motors and their resale values reflect that. These cars are some of the best built 911's that Porsche made.

Keep in mind that a proper paint job worthy of a Porsche costs anywhere from $5000 - $8000. There are many people that can do a lot of the work themselves and can paint a Porsche correctly for a lot less. But, if you can't or don't want to do much of that work yourself, be prepared to spend some money.

Beware of the "bargin" Porsches. They are cheap to purchase initially, but over time, they nickle and dime you to death. Well maintained, properly cared for Porsches are not initially cheap, but those types of cars save you money in the long run because up keep is not as expensive as an abused car.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 07-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Chad H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay,

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking too. I guess I just needed to have someone else tell me as well. Bargains usually aren't.

Well anyway, all I really ever wanted in a porsche was a 911 with a nice body, and preferably a silver paint job. I initially saw the 25th anniversary ones (I believe) and those are what I've been chasing since.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Question about possible purchase