Maximum Displacement tolerable on an SC 3.0 crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005 | 12:05 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Default Maximum Displacement tolerable on an SC 3.0 crankcase

Hey guys, I'm posting this since I have a friend who is interested in increasing the discplacement on his 3.0 engine that had an unfortunate accident happen on one of the cylinders and right bank of the engine. Since the motor will be disassembled, he's interested in upgrading the pistons/cylinders on the engine. My question is what's the maximum displacement recommended, tolerable, and efficient to upgrade to on a 3.0 case? Would the cylinder heads need to be altered to adapt to the larger bores? He has 3.0 heads on it now. I am guessing a great upgrade would be to go 3.2, but would he have to buy a set of Carrera 3.2 heads too? I'm being modest by choosing 3.2 bore since less modification to fuel injection components would be required most likely.

Thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by TheStig; 09-22-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2005 | 12:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Stig:

The case spigots can be opened up to accept Mahle 100mm P/C's for around 3.3 litres but one needs twin-ignition for these setups.

If pump gas and single-ignition are prerequisites, then tell your friend to stick with US-spec 95mm or 98mm P/C's.

Ultimately, its all based on his budget.
Old 09-22-2005 | 01:32 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve thanks for your reply on this matter. He would like to retain CIS management so I will mention he can go to 98mm bore. I don't think he will opt to do twin spark ignition yet on the car, but I will ask him how far he's willing to go in the future with it.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Maximum Displacement tolerable on an SC 3.0 crankcase