Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil in air box housing - 911 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in air box housing - 911 2.7

Could I get some suggestions on what I can do to fix a problem?

Conditions:

---- The car was running then stopped. The battery was dead. The clutch was let out while the car was non running. It was going down a hill. After letting the clutch out , car was in gear-- the engine backfired.

Notes:

1) Backfire - once. See condition above.
2) Large amount of oil (puddle) is located in air box. Looks like it is comin from oil resorvor to the black hose to the air box.
3) Large amount of oil located under car 1/4 quarter of oil. Leak is coming by the starter area. A black tube is in this area. It comes out the tube and drips on the oil line and travels down the tube to the floor.
4) The car idles and runs strong.
5) Car does not smoke.

I am guessing I must of blew valve or breather or?

Could somebody give me an idea waht it could be?

Thanks very much.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:51 PM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Default Backfire - lots of oil in air cleaner 74 911s 2.7 engine

The car is a 74 model.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It sounds like at least 2 things going on to me.
1- Get a pop-off valve on the airbox. You are lucky not to explode the airbox because of the excessive back pressure causesd by a backfire. Not explode as in a fire, but as in it will put some serious cracks and possibly even fracture the box into pieces.
2- Make sure the oil level isn't too high. Too much oil will generally cause a nice mess in the airbox, not to mention everything under the hoses and connectors in this area.
+++
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 AM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Default Oil every where

I will look into the Pop off valve. That is a very good idea.

I bet the oil level was high. It looks like really clean oil. I was reading the manual, and it states to check the oil when it is 176F for proper level. I just pick up the car yesterday. I bet they filled like an american car when it is cold.

I will check it out and reply.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Check the oil level when the car is running, and is on a level surface, and is around 180 degrees. You'll need to drive it for about half an hour to get it up to temperature. If you overfill it, you can blow oil into the airbox and intake, producing a big mess and a lot of smoke, but nothing permanent. Cleaning it out takes some patience, but it's a good way to learn never to overfill it again.

You want to fill it to the midway point between the two marks on the dipstick, not the top one. Don't trust the dash gauge. It's only functional at idle on a level surface, and even then it's not as good as the dipstick.

Be careful not to drop the dipstick into the tank itself.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost certainly over filled with oil - remove the air box cover and filter and clean it all out - if the filter is coated replace, it's cheap enough. Before doing this check the oil level as suggested by Jack because if it is still too full it will happen again! The oil in the starter motor area is coming from the expansion tube and again indicates over filling - messy but nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately (Pete Zimmerman will disagree!) these engines do have a habit of backfiring on start up. Some guys manage to solve it by good tuning but many protect with a pop-off valve - but this MUST be fitted correctly or it will cause you grief. I start mine with the hand throttle half up to give about 1500 rpm and then turn the key - but each one will have its own peculiarities and best start procedures which you will learn over time.

PJC

Quick Reply: Oil in air box housing - 911 2.7