Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911 versus 1986 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 02:45 AM
Racer X
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1977 911 versus 1986 944 turbo

Well fellas sold my 86 944 turbo and i spoted a 1977 911 widebody he says the car was a show car he has rebuild it in 1999 and i can say it very nice it red withe turbo wing and the interior is rblack with red piping also the guages are red no back seat it was taken out and 2 10inch subs in its place it has fuch rims with the wide rims in the back also look at the engine but could not tell if its a 2.7 or a 3.0 the fan i think had more than 5 blades but was no sure i was so awe struck on the paint and the beauty of this machine i could not think straight this would be my first 911 oh yea my question is will i miss a lot of seat in the pants power in the 911 that i use to haven in my 944 turbo i mean i dont think the 911 is faster but i dont wont be dissapointed will i i mean acura integras wont blow me in there dust or nothing even if it had a 2.7 will he see i never rode in a 911 before so i really dont know !!!! but hopefully things work out i will test drive it saturday and if i like it i will take it to jim ellis porsche and let them check it out then maybe i can join the ranks with the 911 crew

Racer x
1977 911 widebody i hope!!!

ps you guy are very informative in the articles you right looking foward to learning more from you
Old 09-20-2002, 09:56 AM
David0514
Racer

I drove a 87 944 Turbo a few weeks back and own a 77 911 3.0 Carrera (WOR). Maybe it is just me, but I felt a bit let down by the hype of the 944 Turbo. It was chipped too. Maybe I was going faster but it certainly did not feel like it. It felt like I was pushing my 94 Honda Accord. Maybe the refinement hid it, but I was not that impressed with the drive. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the 944, but as far as driving one; I think blind folded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from alot of other cars. They are just totally different cars. Good advice would be to post on the 944 Turbo board, they probably see it just the opposite. Who's right, anyone's guess. Anyone have a 928 I can borrow?
Old 09-20-2002, 10:35 PM
930 under Restoration
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David

A stock boost 951 even with a chip is fairly unimpressive, especially if it's not running properly. The 951's stock boost goes like this, it's given 10psi. up to 3500rpm and the computer uses the cyclic valve to drop it to 7.5psi. above 3500rpm. Changing this BS boost control over to a good manual or electronic contoller cures this problem and allows for a manageable 14-16psi. throughout, which makes the car pretty damn fast. I have yet to drive a stock SC or Carrera that could hang with a well boosted 951.

Dave
Old 09-23-2002, 06:07 PM
David0514
Racer

Hi Dave, thanks for your input. I'm just saying it didn't feel as fast. It's that refinement thing I guess.
Take care.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:49 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would research this "widebody '77" in a very calm, dispassionate & detailed manner. Don't let the great paint job & subs-in-the-backseat color your thinking. What is "factory" & what is not? Who has owned it? Where did it live? What is the accident history? Many (strange) things can happen in 25 years - both good & bad. Have an excellent Porsche body man check it out.

If you buy it, you will learn all these things (& more) eventually - you might as well discover the truth before you stroke the check. After all, there are other '77s out there...

Best of Luck!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Racer X
Intermediate

thanks guy i drove the car this past saturday Thing i like mmmm well it crank with no problem,the body is is very nice the fuch rims are in very good condition 16 buy the way,the car drove okay,thing i didnt like mmmmm, the tach didnt work the sunroof was half close and may need a seal oh yea where is the stock button for the sunroof located the seller didnt know either its at a dealership by the way,and it rain all weekend with the sunroof half way closed and the passenger window is not working looks like after market eletric windows can tell by the switch and the motor did have 11 blade fans and it had a little leak i think where the oils is changed at not bad though like a couple of drops didnt even make a puddle the car didnt run hot the oil pressure when cold was about 30 when warm drop to 20 when reved the needle did respond very well the oil pressure that is,the guages seemed to be either painted or a bad kit to make them red but was okay the dash ok need a new glove door it had screws in the bottom half to stay right i guess all in all the car drove pretty fast not as fast as a 944 turbo but i think it would give a mustang hell to try to beat it no backfires or nothing have to get used to the clutch tho its design very different more of a curve than straight down but the car is 14999.00 i will have a guy check it out my friend ha a 1978 sc and he felled for the car he did note that the exhaust sound differs from his 3.0 so it may be a 2.7 so tell me what you guys think your input is very appreciated sorry about the long paragraph

racer x
911 modified?????

ps how easy is a swap to a 3.6 is it as straight foward as a 3.0 and the going price for the motor

Quick Reply: 1977 911 versus 1986 944 turbo