Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gas smell in cabin when heater is on - help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas smell in cabin when heater is on - help!

Looking for a bit of help - '86 Carrera coupe.

Did a search but didn't get much.

This morning I turned on the heater for the first time this season and got a blast of gas fumes. The smell seemed to subside after the fan blew for a couple of minutes. When I got to work I opened the engine compartment trying to see if I could locate where the smell was coming from. I could smell a very faint gas oder on the driver side of the engine, however it was nothing like what came from the heater's initial blast, and no smell on the passenger side. I felt around the fuel filter connections and they were dry.

I changed out the plugs two weeks ago and there was no gas oder nor were there any damp/wet places on the drives side that I noticed, however there was one small moist spot on the valve cover above the # 6 plug hole on the passengers side. I have not noticed any smell prior or any spots on the floor indicating a leak.

I was going to do my long awaited first valve adjustment this Friday, so I'll have everything out on both sides of the engine.

Where should I be looking to see where the leak may be coming from?

TIA

Jim
'86 Carrera Coupe.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM
jet911
Pro

Got home tonight, searched the engine bay following all fuel lines and reaching back behind the engine on the lines out of sight. No leaks to be found, everything was dry. No smell either. Checked the front luggage compartment around the gas tank, the filler hose, etc., everything dry as a bone and no smell. I'm confused. I believe I'll let her cool down, start her up and see what happens when I turn on the heater.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jim
'86 Carrera Coupe
Old 09-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet it has been some time since the heater has been used. If this is the case, then I can tell you from experience that it is not terribly uncommon to get a 'gassy' smell the first time it gets used in a season.
Apparently there gets some type of buil-up in there and once it gets hot enough to burn off, the smell goes away.

For good measure, I run my heater on full blast a time or two every year whether I need to or not, simply to cut down on the chances of this smell recurring when my wife is in the car and she gets cold.
+++
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim,

I had a problem with the small lines in the driver's side front fender where the evaporation tank was. Apparently, the wheels rubbed on the small hoses and opened them up enough to smell, but not leak too much. Just remove the front wheel and look up inside to see if that may be your issue. I am not sure where these lines are in the rear of the car.

Good luck, Tom
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 AM
jet911
Pro

Thanks for the replies Gents.

This AM brought the car in to work and ran the heater - no smell what so ever.

Dan - I think it as you stated. I guess I just can't recall this happening before although it may have.

Tom, I will check out the area under the driver wheel well to make sure there is no issue. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: Gas smell in cabin when heater is on - help!