Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Man how I missed it! (? about bumper smile)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:48 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Man how I missed it! (? about bumper smile)

Back from the local guru, converted from R12 to R134A (new rotary compressor and other bits). Installed new 'bumper smile' , new front spoiler, resprayed front bumper (prior owner had gouged the top of the bumper and nicked the front of the bumper smile, the rubber trim piece on top of the bumper, can someone tell me why there's metal inside it ? mine had rust bubbles in it after 22 years.

I thought I was going through withdrawal, they had the car almost 2 weeks, I couldn't believe how good it felt to drive it again tonight. I'll try the A/C in the morning on the way to work.

Also another question:
to do or not to do side spat decal in front of the rear wheel wells on a narrow body SC ? Maybe clear 3M instead of the black sharkskin ones ?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My narrow-bodied 84 Carrera has a Turbo tail and the shark fin stickers.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
+++
Old 09-09-2005, 12:17 AM
cmoss

My sc had nothing.

Wouldn't have it any other way...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too had to replace my front bumper "Smile" about five years ago when I first bought my car. I think the metal is in there to give the piece some strength.

BTW, I have a set of black magnetic rear fender protectors that I use for track days. It is the best solution IMO, since I can have both looks in a matter of minutes. You can even store then on the underside of your front hood when not on the car. I forgot to mention that I made them by tracing one on a car and then using some magnetic material I bought from a sign shop.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Actually, you can see them on my car in my avatar.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:35 PM
JBO
Instructor

There are actually 2 sizes of the protectors - the ones for the narrow body are amller than the widebody ones. The ones Noel has appear to be the correct narrow body size. I like the look, and like the idea of the magnetic ones.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

If anyone is interested, I can trace them on paper and mail it to you so you can make your own. Just PM me your address. Just make sure that you don't make two of the same because the left and right are the reverse of each other.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
d993
Racer

On my '87 911 a few years back, I had mine torn by a piece of semi truck tire that I coundn't avoid on the freeway.
The smile got ripped and twisted in the middle.
What I did: Cut off about 18" of the center portion. It looked pretty good, kinda like the individual add-on splitters you see on some 993's.

Quick Reply: Man how I missed it! (? about bumper smile)