Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005 | 09:48 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

Default 911 Starting Problems

I have a 1977 911 with a 1986 3.2 liter engine that was installed this winter. The engine management system has been switched to DME and some of the ignition components were replaced during the rebuild and are new. The other components seem to be in good condition.

This morning, I went into the garage, turned the key, the starter motor turned, but the engine did not start.

I don’t think that I’m getting spark, I removed a plug wire, put an old plug in it and positioned it close to the valve cover. I did not see or hear a spark. However, I am getting 12 volts on terminal 15 and 1 of the ignition coil. I did not check the “high” side of the coil and distributor for voltage, but connectivity on the wires in and out of the distributor seems fine.

I even sprayed some Starting Fluid into the open throttle body to see if I was wrong about the spark.

o What am I overlooking?

o Do I need to retest my “No Spark” diagnosis?

o Does the DME and DME relay only control fuel management and are they not part of a “No Spark” problem?
Old 09-07-2005 | 09:53 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

I think that my problem is the speed sensor.

I replaced the DME relay, ran the fuel pump by jumpering the DME relay, checked power on the DME.

When I crank the engine and check at the DME connector, I can see the voltage change on my digital multimeter for the reference sensor, but not for the speed sensor.

The wiring for the speed sensor has good connectivity to the plug in the engine compartment. When testing the resistance at the engine speed sensor plug, I have infinite resistance to the sensor.

I'm thinking a damaged wire to the sensor. I haven't jacked up the car yet, but how difficult is it to access the sensor? I still haven't gotten my manual for this engine. Could someone scan the diagram from the Bentley manual?

Thanks

Lou

Quick Reply: 911 Starting Problems