STUDS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Remember-September 11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy STUDS?

WHEEL SPACERS OR ADAPTERS:

Does anybody know the wheel stud size for an 87' 911?

I have read that most 911 wheel studs are a standard 66mm. Does anyone know???

I am thinking about buying a 23 or 28 mm wheel spacer instead of a wheel adapter. ANY ADVISE???

SEE PHOTO:
Old 09-20-2002, 04:34 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, to answer some of your questions...then give MY opinion on the matter.

The wheelstuds are 45mm, measured from the bottom of the "mushroom head" of the stud, basically the length of the shaft, minus the head.

Spacers or adapters, okay, first of all, if we're talking about spacers, that's picture #1, adapters, picture #2...just want to get that straight.

In your case, I would buy the adapters. You're going to find them in various sizes, starting at 15mm, I haven't seen bolt-on adapters for a Porsche any smaller - due to the clearance needed for the lug nuts inside of the adapter that secure it to your original studs.

You can get longer studs, sounds like you would need a 72mm stud to do what you're doing, being that the originals are 45mm and you need about 28mm worth of spacing.

If you install longer studs, and go back to your original wheels, or are going back and forth between two or more sets of wheels (like me), sell the car, etc. you'll most likely have to put the original studs back in, or you won't be able to use your closed-end factory aluminum lug nuts anymore...because the longer studs will bottom out in the lug nuts before your wheel is torqued.

If you use the adaptor, then you just remove it when it's no longer needed and wallah!! ...and you can sell those puppies FAST on Rennlist.

You're likely going to find spacers made in 15mm, 20mm and 1" widths...I know there are some oddball other sizes, even 1 1/2". I wouldn't think you'd need more than 1" - but then I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

If you like, provide some more information in regards to what you're doing and I'll do my best to help you out, that is, if you want help.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The used stud lenght is relatet to the rim combination coming from the factory. ( phonedails have shorter studs on rear ).
Advise is search the archive for recent posts on that topic.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: STUDS?