Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best place for jack stand supports.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 11:19 PM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best place for jack stand supports.

Can the round protrusions of the rear radius arms be used to support the car on jackstands? I have spoken with a (Porsche) mechanic and although he did not say no he did suggest other areas. The pivot points of the arms fit nicely into the jackstands while minimizing the height of the car.

The vehicle is an 84.

Where is the best place(s) under the front of the car for stands?

My manuals seem more concerned with suggesting areas to avoid.

Thanks.

reg
Old 11-04-2001, 04:39 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reg, just behind the front wheel wells near the outside edge of the car you should see a small (~2") protrusion sticking down from the bottom of the car, that is a support location. There should actually be 4 of those one on each side behind the front tires, and one on each side in front of the rear tires. On the rear lot's of people use the torsion bar tubes, but since my car has a spot specifically for it that's what I use. Mine's an '88 so should be similar to yours.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:24 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Starting in '85 or '86 nice little jacking points were added where Stephen says. Your '84 won't have them.
In the rear, the torsion bar covers (looks like an axle for the trailing arms) is a great place for a jackstand. It's the best place on the whole car IMO.
In the front I use a couple of places but I'm not really happy with either of them.
1. Just behind the front wheels there is a flat space next to a body seam. I place a wooden block on that flat place (being careful to avoid the oil lines in that area) and a jackstand under the block. (This doesn't seem to work for Turbos for some reason.)
2. In the front, between the AC condenser and the gas tank is a strip where the body stick down. It is about 3 inches wide. I place a 2 ft long 2x4 along that with a jack stand on each end.
Be careful,
Chris
Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 PM
mm86911
Instructor

Have an late '86 Targa - no jack-point pads - must have started in '87. I use the same technique as Chris.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:38 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mm86-911:
<STRONG>Have an late '86 Targa - no jack-point pads - must have started in '87. I use the same technique as Chris.</STRONG>
My '86 has them. Nya, nya!
-Chris
Old 11-05-2001, 10:32 PM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: Best place for jack stand supports.