Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wheel Lock Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Help!!!

That 71 Targa I just found in a Barn came with they really nice wheel locks without the tool to remove them ...

Anyone have any suggestions ??? ps: I dont have a welder so i cant weld a nut
Old 08-25-2005, 07:39 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the fix is the same as a broken lug nut - which happened to me a month ago.

Get a good quality 3/4" hole saw. Discard the guide bit. Carefully drill the nut away. They're soft & easy to drill. If you have a steady hand & eye, you won't ruin the wheel bolt. Good luck.

Ian

Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

The other option is a dremel and some time. I used one to drill out the internals.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ian: Good job! Unfortunately, I've been faced with this issue and have found that the type of lock on jonny's car is so hard the hole saw teeth disappear. What's worked for me is to cut two slots, on opposite sides of the lock, with a cold chisel. Once you've got a couple of slots use a cold chisel to work in a counter-clockwise direction, a few hits in one slot, then a few in the other. A heavy ball peen hammer is best, if you have a brass one that's even better. Wear eye protection! I have heard of a tool developed for those early locks, it's like a socket which hammers onto the lock and grabs it when it's turned, but I don't know anything about it.

jonny: Are you sure that you looked everywhere for the key? I've found them inside the socket end of the lug nut wrench, in the tool kit. I've found them taped to the inside of the spare, lying loose down by the w/washer pump, stuck next to the charcoal cannister, etc. Good luck with the project, it's a miserable job.
Pete
Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Thanks for the Tips. Im pretty nervous about going the dremmel route. I've looked everywhere for that damn key its not anywhere in the car!

I've also heard that sometimes you can hammer a socket onto the lug and get it off that way.

Thanks for the tips!

Jon
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jon: If you try to hammer a socket over the lock make sure you use an impact wrench socket, they're much beefier and far less likely to split apart. Shrapnel hurts!
Pete
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

What about drilling a hole in the middle and using an easy out?
Or leave in at my work place one night and I'm sure someone will take all 4 off for you.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Help!!!