Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st Time 911 buyer what should i watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 04:00 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts
Question 1st Time 911 buyer what should i watch out for?

ok folks i need some advice. I've decided to pursche a used 911 and only the SC 911 Since i've heard so much about the 2.7 engines. I'm looking to find a Targa SC from 1978 thru 1983. Whats the difference between these years, were there any improvements made to each year? i know about the updates such at carrera tenisoners,airbox,race ware studs, 11inch blade, better oil coolers..but are there any other updates i should be aware as to the engine and transmission. I've seen SC'S selling from $16k(rebuild and great condition car) to $7k(orignal car) what should i watch out for the low end cheap selling cars? One last important question is how much is cost to mantain the 911 SC? I know they are old and costly to maintain if i get one that needs work but i'd like to get some quotes from poeple that own SC'S. Use to own a 914-4 best little car i ever had untill some 16 year old kid plowed into me now i drive a toyota 4x4 truck and the porsche urge is coming back to me everytime i see one on the road. if i were to sell my truck and use the 911 as a daily driver is this logical? i mean i am 28 single have a good job and only answer to me. any pointers would help out thanks..
Old 11-03-2001, 04:31 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dreamer,
Check the Tech Files for a well written FAQ on the SC models by Bill Gregory.

As for the suitability of these cars as "daily drivers"...many are used as such, but these are 20+ year old cars, and you can expect them to require a bit more work to stay reliable.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:00 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Awesome, welcome back the the P-nut fold. I have an '88 targa that I use as a daily driver. Not exactly what you are looking at, but similar. If you live in a warm climate requiring A/C for much of the year you should plan a few simple inexpensive upgrades to the A/C. There is a vent to add that should help considerably. Try to get a good idea if the car has a leak problem is you are looking at targa's. Try to look at some cars maybe just other enthusiasts from the list in your area that have targa's that can show you or describe what to look for in a good top and a bad top. Having owned a 914 you may already know. I'm not sure how similar the two are. Some people recover their own tops, and some have it done. If you have it done right it's not cheap. Drive as many as you can, maybe even some that are outside of your criteria but close. The more you drive the more likely you would be to notice that something may not feel right in one that otherwise feels great. Find out what the best shop in your area is and have them do a thorough Pre Purchase Inspection including compression, and then leak down depending on the compression.
these can be and often are great cars as I'm sure you know or at least soon will. You've come to the right place to minimize most costs associated with them. Check the rennlist classifieds, and then also check out the classifieds on your local PCA regions site.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Eric '86 Targa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any particular reason you are focusing on SCs and not considering a Carrera? Really clean, original SCs are going for more than decent, well-driven Carreras and you wouldn't want to use a really clean, original car as a daily driver.

Given your locale, I'd strongly suggest looking for an '86 Targa with around 100K miles on it.

WHOA! There's a guy on the Rennlist Classifieds with an 88 Targa for $17.5K. If that car is as nice as he claims - that would be a super daily driver.

Hmmm... Just saw your ad. Relize that you are asking for car with a recent $5K rebuild for not much more than the rebuild price. All I can say is 'good luck'.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:16 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

914 tops are a solid piece of fiberglass, so they never need re-covering.

Dreamer is in Phoenix, so his choice may be dictated by tolerance to the effectiveness (or not) of the a/c.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:54 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Dreamer,

Pig4bill does bring up a point, the Arizona heat is pretty tough for the 911's. I had to have my 84 recharged every year to keep it from becoming a barbeque during the summer.

That said, a 911 of some sort has been the staple of my garage and a daily driver. On the 120 degree commutes its nice to have the truck (toyota A/C is some of the best around).

I have paid more on annual service on my 4 runner(more mileage mind you) than I ever have for a porsche. (Water pumps, timing belts, leaking transfer case, power steering pump, etc...)

I have only had to replace one alternator on a Pcar, brakes, clutch, battery(s) (the heat still kills them, get an optima) and then regular maintenace.

Do check your insurance, you might be in for a suprise, my 84 carrera was actually less than my 4 runner!

I would look into a Carrera, best bet would be a 87+, get the big transmission and better (slightly) ventillation. Not that the car is all that much better (pressure fed chain tensioners, bigger motor, motronics instead of CIS) but they are young enough that the paint and interior are still good, and the little things (seatbelts, switches, *****, seals) haven't started to go yet. The Arizona sun is hard on cars, especially rubber, vinyl and paint.

I sold my 84 a few months back for $16K in Phoenix, it was in great shape, you will probably be able to find something similar.

Good hunting
Old 11-08-2001, 08:41 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts
Thanks to everybody that replied. The reason why i am focusing on the 911sc and not the carrera is simply put the 911sc is what i can afford at this moment. i will have around $10k-$12k to spend on my SC I would rather get a decent SC then a carrera that will need a rebuild or other things that will kill my budget. I feel i have done my studies and read enough of Excellence(Porsche mag) to feel the 911SC is the best model to a carrera, it is better then the 74-77 911s with it's problemtic 2.7 engine. As for the targa top i'm not to worried about that i will be converting the targa to a cab,
just wanted to see if the SC owners had anything else to say about what i should look out for. And might i say once you drive a porsche in any form you always come to them...thanks to Everybody for the replies
Old 11-08-2001, 09:50 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

With your parameters, I'd look for a late SC (no thermal reactors), even allow high mileage if it has a good history. Interview the previous owners, review the records (research the service shops & dealers if possible). In order of importance ... a) rust free, straight (no accidents or very minor) body, b) solid mechanically, c) interior average (this is where you may accept some "issues" if all else is great, save some bucks there - you'r going to make a big mod anyway). Be patient, who knows which way the market is going right now?

Quick Reply: 1st Time 911 buyer what should i watch out for?