Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

weird problem solved-I think

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
stay6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking weird problem solved-I think

Several weeks ago my '84 911 refused to start and it was taken to a local shop and when it arrived all was fine, started right up and continued for 5 days. 6th day car would not start. It would turn over but no start. Once again taken to the shop and it started. Picked her up and she ran for 4 days and wouldn't start. When in the hands of the shop all systems were go. (These guys breathe 911 fumes for breakfast) In discussing what was actually happening at the time with the mechanic on the phone and me in the car, he suggested I look at the tach while attempting to start the car to see if it (the tach) fluttered just a bit. It did not. He said "Crank Angle Sensors" most likely. Since the DME was brand new I took the gamble and $750.00 later she's like new. This was very frustrating, so if you find yourself with a similar problem you might want to see if the tach flutters when trying to crank. Great to have her back even if it is 100 degrees here in Texas.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. I work on Taurus SHOs, and one of the bad crankshaft position sensor giveaways when it won't fire is tach = 0 while cranking, similar situation.

Quick Reply: weird problem solved-I think