Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How can I tell if my 911's had a top end rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my 911's had a top end rebuild?

I've had an 83sc for two years which originated in Germany & was brought into the UK in 99.
It's done 115k miles.
Although I have the original service book in German & lots of bills since it came to the UK, I'd like to know what's been done to the engine.
I can see it's had a Carerra tensioner mod but apart from that & normal servicing I'm not sure.
The oil pressure is very good (4+ at 3000rpm) it nether leaks or uses any oil between 5k services and never smokes.
At those miles, bearing in mind the above details am I right to assume it must have had a top end rebuild in Germany?
Is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by dugsud; 08-23-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not necessarily. SCs are tremendous cars (my '82 has 203K miles on a completely original engine, uses a quart about every 1200 miles - normal - doesn't smoke and doesn't leak), and proper care and use will make them go an unbelievable distance without repairs. However, a good tip off is your oil return tubes. They have probably been resealed, so if they are the replacement collapsible type the heads have probably not been off the car. If they are the original one piece tubes there is a possibility the heads have been off. Look at their outboard ends, where they slide into the cam towers; is it clean there, or is there a build up of crud? Your Carrera tensioner replacement was probably done right, including cam o-ring replacement. That would explain your dry top end, and the job is done with the engine in the car.
Pete
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank's Peter, I'll have a look at those pipes later.
I've used semi-synthetic oils so far but my mechanic put Mobil 1 in the
last time by mistake & I thought.....oh no!...(expecting some leaks) but no problems.
It's done 1000 miles on the Mobil 1 with no leaks at all!
Do you think I should carry on with the fully synthetic oil or go back to semi the next time?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 192k on my 87 911, it burns less then a quart between oil changes and never smokes or anything. i rag the car all day long and sit in stop in go traffic, havent had a problem yet. but i will be looking to re build the motor soon just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my 911's had a top end rebuild?