Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing AC from 1983 SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Cabriolet Mike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing AC from 1983 SC

I'm thinking of removing the AC from my 1983 SC Cabriolet as it doesn't do enough cooling to make it worth while and most of the time I'm driving with the top down. I would like to clean up the engine compartment by removing the compressor and the condensor on the hood but leave the rest of the components in place. Can this be done so that it could be replaced at a later time without hurting the remaining components by leaving the system open? I know I would need a new dryer, but would this hurt the front condensor or evaporator? How big of job is it to remove the hoses?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Hi Mike,
I did the same thing. It's now resting in my attic. It made changing my shock for the car and the hood much easier. I also taped up the ends of the hoses and tye wrapped them away for future use.
All of my freon had already leaked out. I believe there is a release valve for this, but be VERY careful. You could burn yourself. Time was 1 beer.
I was concerned that water goes directly on the engine through the vent, so I now put a towel in there when I wash the car (also put the key on the towel so I don't forget and start the car). If it's raining I don't slow down.
Rod
Old 08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rod: LOL, actually there is no danger with water entering through the engine lid grille. A nice touch, after washing, is to have a towel, dedicated for engine wipedown, to have handy to give the engine area a quick dry.

Mike: It'll cost you, but have the system evacuated prior to compressor removal. R-12 is not kind to the environment. I did exactly what you're contemplating, just recently, to my '82. So far, I've left the hoses in the car. To protect them I put a Ziploc Freezer bag over their ends and ty-rap'd them. It's probably silly to preserve non-barrier type hose, so when it's all said and done I'll probably pull out the whole mess one of these days - once the weather cools off!
Pete
Old 09-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Is there a DIY around someplace for removal of all the components, lines, etc? I have the compressor out (actually was missing when I bought the car), the condensor(?) removed from the rear lid (that had to be killing air flow..8-)..), and now am onto the lines that dissapear into the bottom rear of the engine compartment. This car will live as a track car from now on so I want all traces of AC out. I guess those lines go to something (evaporator?) up front?

Going to jack her up now to see if I can pull those lines out of the engine bay from the bottom, will cut the darn things to pieces if it makes it easier..

Edit: Got the lines out, can't get the one that goes up into the front box by the blower off (without busting something) so I cut it where it enters the cover plate under the car. Other one came off the dryer easily. Will remove dryer and small lines another time, at least my engine bay is clear and 25 lb of old lines and fittings are gone for now.. The manual shows another condensor up front, maybe later years? Mine has the one in the engine bay alone.

Last edited by Gary R.; 09-18-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing AC from 1983 SC