Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hissing sound then no A/C on '86 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM
86Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound then no A/C on '86 Coupe

I re-charged the A/C system about a month ago. As usual feels great at night and OK when it's hot outside cruising on the freeway. Never gets cold-cold at low speeds.

Ran an errand yesterday morning and noticed that the A/C was pretty cold even in broad day light. Was looking forward to some cold A/C after the errand and switched it on. About a minute later I heard a hissing sound, like you hear if you puncture a tire.

So I got out of the car to check but tires looked good. When I got back in the hissing was gone so I kept driving.

But something was different, the A/C wasn’t cold at all at it was still fairly cool outside.

Could the hissing sound have been one of the A/C hoses developing a big leak? That would explain the sound I heard and weak A/C after that.

If so do the hoses typically develop big leaks in a certain area? It must have had a small leak before because I needed to re-charge every year or so.

If not are big leaks easy to find and repair? Hoping to avoid several hours of that dye process and R&R of the hose.

Looking for thoughts / advice. Out here in So. Cal. the stock A/C is not so bad when it's charged so prefer not to upgrade the factory system, just fix it.

Thanks, Pete.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check with the AC Condenser first located under the grille of your decklid. Look for any damage or cracks in the aluminum. If nothing is found on the AC Condenser, your best bet would be to follow your high and low pressure lines. The leak may not necessarily be a large leak, as even a pin hole leak under pressure will be loud enough to get your attention. It may be worth buying a DIY recharge kit from any automotive parts shop and pumping a little refrigerant in to find your leak. You can also buy refrigerent with leak sealer for small pin hole leaks. Either way goodluck.

Lee
Old 08-17-2005, 03:58 PM
86Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know why I didn't think to check under there first, sure enough there is that light colored A/C oil near the lines on the right side of the condenser. Now have to find out where exactly.

Rather have it there than some other location so it's good news so far.

Thanks Lee!

Quick Reply: Hissing sound then no A/C on '86 Coupe